Upside down

All

A couple of times recently I've heard Shirley fall over and end up upside down. This is normally due to her trying to escape/other hijinks.

I'm never sure whether it's better to:

A) turn her back immediately to keep her stress levels low.

B) leave her a few minutes to see if she can right herself. I don't know if the practice righting herself is good so she is better at flipping back when I'm not there to help, or if I'm just being mean letting her get stressed out trying. Obviously this option is what would happen in the wild.

So far she's always managed to right herself within thirty seconds or so (plus I've never come home to find her upside down), so presumably she's pretty good at it.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Personally I give my guys about a minute of struggling and then flip them back or assist in some way if they aren't successful. I've never come home to an upside down tortoise so it appears to me that they have a handle on things.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I always flip mine back over. However, I do like the idea of just giving them a fingers to push off from. It might teach them to right themselves. However, I don't like the looks of them looking helpless, so I just right them myself.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
normally I would let them flip themselves back over if possible. but if she can flip herself I would help her

Thanks all for your opinions.

I feel it depends on where in the enclosure she is when she falls over - if she's under her lamp I always flip her back straight away, if she's at the cool end I give her a bit more time to right herself. Agree that it's heartbreaking to see them looking helpless!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Although it's not UN common for a baby tortoise to get flipped over. It is uncommon for one to have flipped so many times that it seems almost normal.
IMO you need to address the flipping issue and remove some items or modify a few things to lessen the risk.

The main culprit is the sides (there have been a couple of falls from her den but I've adjusted that now). She climbs up the sides until she is perpendicular to the ground and then topples over backwards. Any suggestions on how to stop that would be most welcome, but surely everyone has that problem? Have I just got a clumsy tortoise?

Wood, lined with a smooth plastic style shower curtain to keep the moisture in.

I'd say she falls over about once a week (that I find her anyway).

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Wood, lined with a smooth plastic style shower curtain to keep the moisture in.

I'd say she falls over about once a week (that I find her anyway).

Is she getting her nails into the liner and pulling herself up on it? Can she see over the wood? I wonder if there is some way to discourage climbing, by either making it more difficult or less appealing.

It's hard to tell. Possibly, but she was doing it before I put the liner in as well. In terms of seeing over, the wood is more than 50% higher than her length so I don't think she can.

I'm actually having a similar problem with my 12 month old human baby pulling himself up the sofa and then toppling backwards. Perhaps they've been giving each other tips.

Hopefully it's just a phase (for both of them).

ImMel

I always help mince since its a baby. Its good however to be able to turn by himself. I cant be always there to watch him.

Alaskamike

South Florida
I have several box turtles in an outdoor enclosure. Sides are wood boards and I've seen one vertical with nails dug in climbing straight up !

I have lattice attached to boards outside so even if they got to the top they still would not escape. I've seen one fall over but box turtles are acrobatic and he righted himself immediately.

One possible fix would be covering the wood with plexiglass cut to width. It can be attached with small screws or even carpenters glue. They can't climb that slippery stuff :)

Good fortune to you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species?
What size and age?
What is the size of the enclosure?
What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low?
What heating and lighting equipment are you using to maintain those temps? Any cfl type UV bulbs?

I'm wondering if we can find a reason why the tortoise keeps doing this.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I found mine on his back a couple of times and I always flip Him over because I think he can't get back onto his stomach due to his pyramiding.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I've only seen my tortoises on their backs 1 time, each. But...mine don't really climb or try to escape. Each time I just watched for a moment and within a minute they had righted themselves. I wouldn't intervened if it had gone much longer than that, though. I don't like to see them struggle.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
It's hard to tell. Possibly, but she was doing it before I put the liner in as well. In terms of seeing over, the wood is more than 50% higher than her length so I don't think she can.

I'm actually having a similar problem with my 12 month old human baby pulling himself up the sofa and then toppling backwards. Perhaps they've been giving each other tips.

Hopefully it's just a phase (for both of them).

Perhaps putting a piece of wood along the top making a inward cap so the hopes of a walk about are crushed...also, maybe there is something within eye view of the tort that is brightly colored getting his attention..