Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I hold with my original I.D.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
I second Anthony's point. How do we know, definitively, that this little fella (lady?) is in fact a P. subniger? I mean, it looks a lot like an African Helmeted turtle to me, a Pelomedusa, but I know as much about African muds and sidenecks as I do about African Hingebacks, or variations within the Mauremys complex from Europe to Asia, which is next to nothing.

T.G.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I know nothing about any of the species. Are the different species you guys discussing from different areas? Do they require different care? If so it is important but if not it might not be as important.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Okay I understand now. I wasn't quite sure what the big deal was unless the care was different. Like I said I don't know these kinds of turtles. It is very cute though whatever it is.

I have read sites that say the African helmeted turtle only gets 5"-6" and others state 8" to 20" which would make a big difference with tank size needed as an adult.They are both cute.There is a cute African sideneck baby at my local Petsmart that has been for sale for a while. I try to avoid looking at him they are so cute. I love that face on both the African sidenecks and helmeted turtles. They are both supposed to be hardy and a great beginner turtle when set up right.

M

Maggie Cummings

Can anyone justify why they think it's subniger and not another of the Pelusios?
Sorry Anthony....I just looked it up in one of my reptile books and that's what it said. But I don't think it's a mud turtle, just an African Sideneck......

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
It is an African Sideneck AND an African Mud Turtle. Those are just common names, and we know how confusing those can be.

The reason why I asked why was that the Pelusios genus is really tough. It's like trying to determine the subspecies of the Emys genus (European Pond Turtles) just from looks.

Truth is, taxonomy is determined by genetics more than anything now. That means that a lot of time, morphological clues you can get from photos might be largely unreliable, especially if you're dealing with a uniques specimen within their species.

Sometimes, there can be little tell-tale signs to help tell the species apart, but there aren't easy ones with Pelusios. That's why I asked. I think it's safest just to assume this is one of the more common Pelusios species in the pet trade here.