update on Anouk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
So, my little Anouk is doing fabulous! I've had her for almost three months now, and she's proving that good things to indeed come in small packages!

Her appetite came in, full force after about a week, and since then, she's been eating and growing like mad!

She's gone from 57g and 2 9/16" SCL at 7 months old, (about a week after I got her,) to 85g and 3" SCL today, at 8 months and 16 days old!

She's getting so big! I think she's been sneaking some miracle grow or something! After some good messages with Danny though, I've been assured that her growth rate is good, so at this point, I'm just proud! Here are some pics:

This is her, enjoying a rare treat of some crunchy romaine!
Misctortandsnakecloseups073.jpg

Misctortandsnakecloseups063.jpg

Misctortandsnakecloseups078.jpg

Here's a long shot of the warm end of the enclosure, and also one of her still, favorite spot to nap
Torts027.jpg

Torts044.jpg

Here's a closeup of her shell, so everybody can see all the new growth!
Torts015.jpg

And this next few are some of my favorites. I found a nice sized bunch of frisee lettuce in the spring mix one day, and its always been a favorite of Nigel's, so I thought I would test the waters and offer it to Anouk. It's the tree looking thing in the pics. I called it lettuce tree! :D
Torts016.jpg

Torts017.jpg

Torts018.jpg

She absolutely LOVED it. She ate the entire thing!

For some reason or other though, no matter what she's offered, Anouk will not touch her red lettuce. She even goes so far as to push it off of her plate and drag it around her enclosure! (each day I spot clean dried up little leaves of red lettuce--Nigel hates it too) but frisee, radicchio and romaine are favorites. She also hates chard (green and red) I offered her a piece of green chard by hand once, and she took a nibble, and then pushed it out of her mouth with her tongue, before wiping it away on her foreleg. I was tickled that she spit it out--really proving that she does have a preference!

She's also started using her dish on her own now, taking to daily soaking/drinking sessions. But as of yet, doesn't really do much with the eco earth section of her enclosure expect walk on it on her way to the water dish. I've never seen her dig or bury herself, so I am thinking of mixing in some organic topsoil and planting some microgreens right in the enclosure for her to snack on--just so that something comes of all my hard work! :p

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
She is looking very good. Congrats on your hard work.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Anouk is adorable Meg. I love picture #2 and think it should be considered for next years calendar. You're right very healthy looking. :)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Great pictures Meg :) Anouk is looking great :D

Danny

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Yay! Trevor sure has food preferences too. I think it's cute as long as I can get him to eat a balanced diet. He'll tell me if the greens are starting to go bad too! He'll boycott his breakfast until I come home with fresh stuff, lol.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Great pics Meg and Anouk is a real sweetheart. So healthy and happy looking. Great Job. :)

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
MEG, what a cutie little Anouk is !!!! I am so happy she is is growing so well and that she's healthy. She is just so lovely, I may be biased towards Greeks, but they're just beautiful :p She looks SO happy, you can see it in her face and eyes. Congrats to you!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Meg,
Anouk is a beautiful tortoise and you are doing a very good job :D. She looks very happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.