unhappy ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jellie1989

5 Year Member
ive posted a few times about my tort potentially been ill , ive come to the conclusion hes not ill , when we got him the previous owner had him living on some kind of wood chip and hay for his bedding , i changed it all over to soil and sand mix but he wont come out of his hide.

hes fine in the garden and roaming around the living room but not in his house , he explores the whole room . in his house he stays in bed all day . i have to wake him up otherwise he just sleeps , the temps are all fine he eats well when i move him to the food and i bathe him daily im at my wits end on what to do

what should i do?

jrholls

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maine
I bought a digital temp gun from autozone and rechecked all my temps with it and had to adjust my lights significantly. Maybe try a different thermometer. Good luck :)

Starjelly

5 Year Member
Southern ca. J
The wood chips and hay that he used to live on shouldn't effect his mood. My russin :tort: used to live on rabbit bedding didn't have a lamp and only ate iceberg lettuce, but now he has every thing he needs and is happy and comes out often.
:D

jrholls

5 Year Member
Maine
How long have you had him? He could be just adjusting to the new substrate/home. Is he eating normally? That's a pretty good indicator of how he's doing health wise.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
How often do you check on him? I used to think that about one of my smaller box turtles. All of them would come out & explore, except him-then I came home from work one day & caught him sitting on top of the hidy bark... needless to say, he DID come out all the time, it was just when I am always at work.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
There are alot of factors that could be causing this behaviour,
Everything in his habitat has to be checked,
Saying that one of my russians i will only see about once a week, she stays buried for most of the day. All you can see is the soil moving,

I sat waiting one day and she finally surfaced once the rest of the gang had eaten and gone to bed.
Now both my russians do the same, they will not eat with the rest, they like to wait for them to finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.