Unexpected new owner of a redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aisling

5 Year Member
Last week i recieved a redfoot as a gift. I was expecting an aquatic turtle! Needless to say i was totally unprepared for this new house guest. I live in an apartment in san diego so i dont have much room for a large indoor habitat and have no outdoor area for an outdoor habitat. Ive done a little research (so much info, it's overwhelming!) and it appears that my little guy as some pyramiding going on. How i can prevent it from getting worse, as i have read that there is no reversing it. I have been feeding him greens (collard, mustard and dandelion) every other day as well as apples and white squash. Ive also purchased some calcium powder and sprinkled it on his food (only once this past week, wasnt sure how often to do it). He has a bowl of water, and it's big enough for him to lay in. I have a hide for him and he usually spends the night in there. The temp is 80 and the humidity is 70. i mist the substrate quite a few times throughout the day because it dries so quick. attached is his home and a picture of him. any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Attachments

• Photo0382.jpg
    Photo0382.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Photo0383.jpg
    Photo0383.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 85
  • Photo0374.jpg
    Photo0374.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 84

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alexandria, VA
that's a little small of a redfoot that big...the pyramid doesn't look that bad to me but is that just a UVB bulb? I'm not sure but I think they need heat bulbs too! but that cage is really really small. I don't know too much about pyramid but I think it could be cure if it's not so bad.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Aisling:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Welcome! Redfoots are great tortoises. They have a lot of personality. I agree that he needs a bigger place to live. Are you aware that they get rather large? His pyramiding isn't horrible, but yes, you want to stop it in its tracks. It sounds like you are doing everything right so keep up the good work! :)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Aisling,
I'm going to apologize in advance for the length of this response, but it seems you're in a bit of a pickle with an unexpected (but highly welcome) new addition. I also want to add 2 caveats to what I outline below: 1) I'm not an expert, I've been keeping 2 RF hatchlings for ~3 months, 2) as I am not an expert, most of what I'm sharing with you is based off of the recommendations of keepers with much more experience - I'm providing you with the information I agree with, it may be contradicted by others and perhaps your own opinion(s).

I'm not sure how large you RF is, it looks relatively small, but you definitely need a larger habitat. I know it's tough in your space-limited situation, but a larger space will provide excercise, stimulation, and a greater ability to provide a heat gradient for your tortoise. As poikilotherms, they need the ability to thermoregulate on their own. A good gradient to go by is 92ºF (32ºC) on the warm, bright side, and 80ºF (27ºC) on the cool, shaded side. Pairing your light regime with your heat gradient compliments more natural conditions. The first thing I would do is get a larger space for the tort if at all possible. This will allow you to ameliorate some of the other suggestions I make below.

Your substrate looks like orchid bark or similar, that's fantastic! It did look a bit dry in there though. You'll want humidity around 60% or greater as these tortoises are neotropical, living in warm, humid environments. I have a layered system of rocks, then soil, and last ~2 inches of cypress mulch. A heat rope is buried within the rock/soil which has lots of water in it. It heats the water and releases humidity. These are the heat ropes I use, as they are waterproof: (http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Apple-Flexible-Heat-Ropes)

There's debate on UVB exposure, I say yes, others say no - this is not the place for debate, but I will say as diurnal animals, I find it difficult to believe that they do not require any UVB exposure for vitamin D3 synthesis (critical for bone growth & formation). I run a tube florescent bulb (Reptisun 10.0 - 5.0 is absolutely fine) in the center of my enclosure and on one end I have a Mercury Vapor Bulb (Zoo Med 100-watt Powersun) and halogen light. The MVB is used for basking + UVB, the halogen is to provide a more balanced light (see Balboa's "Guide to Practical Ligthing" in the General Tortoise Discussion Forum) but could be used for basking as well. I would start with a tube florescent bulb as they're less expensive than MVB's and you were not expecting a tortoise.

I give my hatchlings Calcium 2-3 times per week, using a salt shaker to apply a very light dusting. If they don't get outdoor time (no UVB) some Calcium with D3 would be good 1-2 times per week. Go easy on the D3, you can give them too much but it's pretty tough to do so. Liquid D3 can also be used. Mark's Tortoise Library (below) has a helpful table breaking down daily guidelines and dosages (nutritional guidelines under diet and nutrition).

Here are some fantastic sites concerning RF husbandry:
http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/index.html - one of my favorites, be sure to really explore this site. The "shopping list" can give you some more ideas on a varied diet under the "diet" section.
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/backidx.html
http://www.red-footed-tortoise.com/
http://redfoottortoise.com/redfoot_tortoise_diet.htm

If you can pick up a copy of Mike Pingleton's book, it's one of the best references to beginning RF care that I have seen.
http://www.pingleton.com/redfoot/redfoots.htm

Okay, I'm going to stop there - I hope I haven't overwhelmed you...!? Look at Mark's Website (Tortoise Library), I think this is one of the best places to start.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D You have a great looking RF there :p

Love the Home Sweet Home...very cool. I would suggest that if you add some plants (live or silk) that will give him a tucked in feeling as well as when you mist the tank it will retain some of the moisture for a bit longer....I would suggest that you change out the substrate to a coco coir mixed with some organic soil (without fertilizer or plant food) to allow for some mucking about in as well as that will retain moisture a bit longer and the substrate should be 3-4 inches deep ---every other day you can add some water to the substrate so it is moist as well as mist him directly until he gets some water dripping off of him ;)

Also, have to mention that the top that is on your enclosure appears to be a mesh screen---this will not aid in retaining humidity much, so would suggest that perhaps you find something solid to use to cover most of the enclosure opening (with exception of the light of course)...

What type of light do you have in that dome...MVB, basking bulb only, UVB Only? What strength of bulb do you have, also do you have a night bulb to assure the temps remain around 78 ish during the night....

I will not go into too much lecturing about the size of the enclosure.....how large is your tortoise? :D

austinl01

5 Year Member
Little Rock, AR
I think it's a good thing. Tortoises are much better than water turtles. :)

Be careful not to overheat the enclosure too.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Congrats on your Red Foot-they are very easy to love. Great personalities and have a wide range for diet too.
Looks like you have had some good advice but I will second the recommendation for Mike Pingleton's book-I love it!
He will respond to emails too-very helpful guy.
Enjoy your new addition!

paschallraschalls

5 Year Member
Looks like you have received some good advice. Do you have a balcony? There are several members who have turned their apartment balconies into tortoise enclosures. Also, I don't know exactly how much indoor space you have for your tort, but for an inexpensive indoor enclosure that will give you more space, you might consider a used bookcase on its back.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I agree the enclosure needs to be bigger and somehow that little guy needs some REAL SUN and some EXCERCISE. I use sphagnum moss for bedding. I think the pyramiding can even out with humidity, excercise, diet and sun .

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
(I feel like I owe Redstrike a royalty or something!)

Red-footed tortoises are a mixed blessing in some ways. They are gorgeous, personable, interesting, etc. but they do present a few challenges. Good heat, lighting, and humidity, the right space, a good diet, etc. It can be a lot to deal with all at once.

Start with what you can work on the most easily, probably the diet. You've got a good start. Add a little more variety, and a small pinch of calcium a couple times a week.

Start looking around for a bigger habitat. This time of year you can often find huge plastic storage tubs- those on wheels or for Christmas tree storage- that work nicely. The lid helps keep heat and humidity in- a nice bonus.

If you can get him outside for about an hour a week spread over several days, you probably don't need to worry much about the lighting, just don't over-do the wattage.

The Library should be able to help at least some, but it also has links to other great resources that can help.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Madkins007 said:
(I feel like I owe Redstrike a royalty or something!)

Outside of the forum, and specific to RF's, I haven't found a better resource. Well researched, concise, and practical. I hope I don't steal your thunder, just want to see people make use of it...and perhaps boost my chances at a royalty...

I would adhere to Mark's advice, I fear I was a bit too excited and probably overwhelmed you, apologies. Start with things that seem feasible and manageable, you and your new tort will do fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.