Unexpected Redfoot Tortoise

Shutterbug

Location (City and/or State)
Saskatchewan
Do any of you ever seem to "attract" or happen to find unwanted critters?!

I was in the pet store looking for some calcium powder for my Sulcata and someone heard me chatting to one of the employees.
They had a redfoot tortoise that they could no longer care for. They just wanted him to go to a good home. An hour later.. I was on my way home with this little dude.

He is supposed to be 4 years old, but only weighs 481g, after this AM soak. He did not poop, and did not pee from what I could see in the water.

He does seem to have some issues though:

1) He seems to have some limb weakness. Still walks around and is active just doesnt seem as strong as he should be.

2) His diet has consisted of nothing but 3 types of lettuce, he has never had protein or fruit.

3) His shell is quite wrinkled and scute are slightly raised on his back. There is a deep ridge along his side all the way around however. Beginning of pyramiding?

4) During this morning's soak, I heard a soft popping and whistling with his breathing. Beginning of an URI? If so, should I make a vet appointment NOW?
The vet is a 3hr drive each way, so if I can properly and safely treat and care for it at home, I will do so. If vet is best, that is what he will get! He is still active and has appetite despite a big change in his life.

5)His right eye is quite cloudy...think like a cataract. I feel like this would be from the coil UV he had, with no heat lamp.
He ate within an hour of coming home, however it takes him ages to aim and grab the food ☹

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I managed to get both of my turtles in a similar way, it's sad as usually they are handed to you with irreparable damage.

1 and 3 sounds like metabolic bone disease, which means they probably did not use a UV bulb at all. If you can provide pictures of the tortoise, it's very easy to confirm through visuals. Good news is it sounds like he is still walking and not dragging his legs.

Sounds like he might have a URI - taking them to the vet depends on how far gone he is. My tortoise had gunk filled lungs that needed medication, and it took about 6 months of treatment to get her fully recovered.

For the eye, perhaps he is partially blind?

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
I also get giving critters from time ti time

I would wait on the vet for a wile and see how he dose with the right care. Id be willing to bet some of things you are noticing will turn right around with the right heat humidity and food

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's probably scar tissue on the eye. It should heal, but it takes a real long time. You can help him eat by placing the food up against a wall so it can't move away as he bites for it. It would be soothing to use an ointment on the eye. Look up Vetericyn on Google (I may have my i and y reversed)

Shutterbug

Saskatchewan
When soaked he also seems to be giving off some sort of oil? There was a residue of sorts floating on the water after his soak

Shutterbug

Saskatchewan
He is still walking and moving about yes :) His front legs lift him higher and stronger? then his rear legs.
He has explored all around his new enclosure, ate and has now literally parked himself under the basking and uv bulbs. Hasn't moved in 2 or 3 hrs....seems to be loving the warmth.

Is there a way to tell if there is gunk in the lungs? So far there is no bubbling, leaking fluid or mucus at all.

Tortalini

Columbus, Ohio
He was kept far too dry. He was probably under a heat light that was too hot, without any humidity. Poor guy. That's why the top of his shell looks wrinkled and his head and legs are cracked. Give him lots of soaks and make sure to keep the humidity high in his enclosure. You can also rub him down with cold pressed coconut oil once a week to help with the dryness. I hardly know anything about tortoise respiratory infections. Just keep a look out for any fluids from the eyes nose or mouth.

Shutterbug

Saskatchewan
He was kept far too dry. He was probably under a heat light that was too hot, without any humidity. Poor guy. That's why the top of his shell looks wrinkled and his head and legs are cracked. Give him lots of soaks and make sure to keep the humidity high in his enclosure. You can also rub him down with cold pressed coconut oil once a week to help with the dryness. I hardly know anything about tortoise respiratory infections. Just keep a look out for any fluids from the eyes nose or mouth.

He came with his lights, he actually did not even have a heat bulb, just the coiled uv light :(

He is getting the same soak routine as my sulcata hatchling. I am soaking 2x a day for 30mins each time.
In last nights bath, he drank for a solid 1 to 2 minutes. I still have not seen him pee, either urates or liquid, however he has passed a poop which was quite hard and a rounded pellet.

He is more active, exploring the enclosure, and basking, however doesnt seem as interested in food anymore. He ate part of the boiled egg I gave, but doesnt want to eat any of the salad, grass or hay anymore.
Would this just be the stress of everything catching up at this point?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
He came with his lights, he actually did not even have a heat bulb, just the coiled uv light :(

He is getting the same soak routine as my sulcata hatchling. I am soaking 2x a day for 30mins each time.
In last nights bath, he drank for a solid 1 to 2 minutes. I still have not seen him pee, either urates or liquid, however he has passed a poop which was quite hard and a rounded pellet.

He is more active, exploring the enclosure, and basking, however doesnt seem as interested in food anymore. He ate part of the boiled egg I gave, but doesnt want to eat any of the salad, grass or hay anymore.
Would this just be the stress of everything catching up at this point?
Don't stress about the pee.
Redfoot have almost clear pee and you're not going to notice it when it happens unless he's in your lap.