Tyion Checking In at Almost a Year

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas City, MO
Our Tyrion is almost a year old now (within a month or so according to the breeder). I'm posting some photos below. Appreciate input on his development -- is he about the right size, shape, etc. Also, it may be too early to tell, but if you have thoughts about whether Tyrion is boy/girl, I'm interested. Breeder said he was incubated at a temperature for either sex.

IMG_2088.JPG IMG_2075.JPG IMG_2084.JPG IMG_2079.JPG IMG_2081.JPG IMG_2083.JPG IMG_2085.JPG

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I forgot to add that Tyrion weighs in at 306 grams. About right for a 1-year-old sulcata?
You've got a beautiful tort with a very nice smooth shell. You must be doing something right As for the weight, I can't really answer your question but I have 2 almost yearlings and one is a redfoote she weighs 396 grams and the other (Brazilian Cherryhead) and he's at 246 grams. I think it really varies and I can't tell about sulcata. I just wouldn't stress too much about it. I think animals are very much like human babies, each grows/develops at its own individual rate. But perhaps sulcata experts will chime in on that one. I think you're doing a great job

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tyrion has such a feminine-looking face. It will be interesting to watch the tortoise's growth and to see if the gender matches the face further on down the line.

Kansas City, MO
You've got a beautiful tort with a very nice smooth shell. You must be doing something right As for the weight, I can't really answer your question but I have 2 almost yearlings and one is a redfoote she weighs 396 grams and the other (Brazilian Cherryhead) and he's at 246 grams. I think it really varies and I can't tell about sulcata. I just wouldn't stress too much about it. I think animals are very much like human babies, each grows/develops at its own individual rate. But perhaps sulcata experts will chime in on that one. I think you're doing a great job

Thanks for your kind words. Credit where credit is due, however. I received lots of good advice on this forum when we first brought Tyrion home -- about diet, care, temperatures, humidity levels, etc. If he's doing well, it's likely because we chose to follow @Tom 's and @Yvonne G 's advice rather than our breeder's (who suggested we keep him on a "desert environment" on sand). Tyrion and I are grateful (and we continue to be grateful) to all of you guys for the good advice!!

Kansas City, MO
Tyrion has such a feminine-looking face. It will be interesting to watch the tortoise's growth and to see if the gender matches the face further on down the line.

Lol -- my six-year-old daughter would agree with you. She is CONVINCED Tyrion is a she. Tyrionanna has a nice ring to it, I guess :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looking very good and 300 grams in the first year is pretty good for a dry started one.

No way to sex yet.

You should send your breeder pics and weight and try to show them why they are wrong.

Kansas City, MO
Looking very good and 300 grams in the first year is pretty good for a dry started one.

No way to sex yet.

You should send your breeder pics and weight and try to show them why they are wrong.

Thanks Tom. I will do that. I think I still have his card somewhere.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Lol -- my six-year-old daughter would agree with you. She is CONVINCED Tyrion is a she. Tyrionanna has a nice ring to it, I guess :)

We chose a fairly gender neutral name for JJ our bearded dragon, but the nine year old was still insanely disappointed when he turned out to be a him. Oddly enough she chose the name Mr T for our sulcata, and I'm going to laugh when the day comes that Mr T turns out to really be Mrs T.