A 6 inch 5 YEAR OLD sulcata???

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Bodfish
I just found out that where I board my horse owns a sulcata.. She (the owner of the ranch) has a "5 year old sucata" that is like 5 to 7 inches... smaller than my girl Big Bertha he or she is very very nice looking... the shell has almost no bumps... and he/she looks really good... it is kept outdoors year round now.. but I did not see a water bowl or anything... it has a non heated dog house and the pen area is a good size.. Is it normal for a 5 year old sulcata to be 8 inches (tops) I am going to take pictures and if it's a boy I might bring him home I just thought he/she should be bigger... They have had him/her it's whole life so they are sure of the age... I just don't know.. so what do you guys think...

wildponey21

5 Year Member
how can you bring it home if her mom dpes not want to give her up also if she has a good home why take her

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
wildponey21 said:
how can you bring it home if her mom dpes not want to give her up also if she has a good home why take her

Not once did I say they didn't want to give him/her up... The owner was telling me that she wanted to give him/her up to me:D.. I just don't want another girl so I was going to take picks:p.. And I don't know if it is a good home for a sulcata seeing as it has no water and no heated night hide... just a dog house.. plus it is on rocks/pebbels plus I think it is kinda small for it's age...

wildponey21

5 Year Member
i have to sullys myself and they are smae for there age that does not mean i don't care for them.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
I never said you don't care for them... and now we are off topic.. I just wanted to know if he/she is a good size for 5 years old... seeing as my 2 year old female is bigger than him/her and was very very mistreated before I got her..

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
My experience is VERY limited with tortoises, but with animals in general, there are a lot of factors that go into an individual animal's size: genetics, diet, housing, lighting, etc...or any combination of the above. I have seen "runt" snakes, specimens that are kept correctly, feed ideally, but just have not attained their "optimal" adult size. I've seen the same things in some lizards. I would imagine the same could be true for tortoises and turtles..or any animal. After all, its true for humans.

In short, a 5 yr old sulcata that is 8 inches doesn't necessarily mean its in terrible shape. I don't know what the average growth rate is, but it actually doesn't seem that far off.

However, I am concerned with it having no water, and no heated shelter.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This sounds like a case of surviving vs. thriving. Tortoises, and especially sulcatas, can adapt and survive an awful lot. Sounds like this managed to survive really cold temps and dehydration. I hope it does end up with you where it will finally see greener pastures and get a drink of water... :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
StudentoftheReptile said:
My experience is VERY limited with tortoises, but with animals in general, there are a lot of factors that go into an individual animal's size: genetics, diet, housing, lighting, etc...or any combination of the above. I have seen "runt" snakes, specimens that are kept correctly, feed ideally, but just have not attained their "optimal" adult size. I've seen the same things in some lizards. I would imagine the same could be true for tortoises and turtles..or any animal. After all, its true for humans.

In short, a 5 yr old sulcata that is 8 inches doesn't necessarily mean its in terrible shape. I don't know what the average growth rate is, but it actually doesn't seem that far off.

I agree with this, small does not equal mistreated or under cared for. You also said visually she looks good, which normally is not the case with one not taken care of correctly.

Katherine

5 Year Member
I have one of the tiniest 4 year old sulcatas ever. I will post pictures for you this evening. It was hatched by me and raised exactly the same as it's clutchmates. I have never withheld food, water, or sunlight from this tortoise and it is completely dwarfed by its siblings. It is healthy and vibrant, just tiny. I have not seen the tortoise you speak of, nor it's living conditions, but growth rates are variable. Due to my personal experience with the tiny tortoise, as well as the basic principals of genetics, I do not think size is necessarily indicative of a bad life or poor health. This is not to say the tortoise you saw has not had a rough start, but perhaps some inquisition and better inspection would be warranted before drawing that conclusion based on size:age ratio alone.

Also, I do not know where you are in the world, but for a good portion of the year here in the southern US most of my tortoises are outside with unheated shelters as well. We turn the heat sources on only when we feel it is appropriate to do so, and that is not the case for at least 6 months out of the year. I would guess if the tortoise looks to be in good shape (smooth shell, clear eyes/nose, feels solid or dense when lifted) that its owners deserve the benefit of the doubt here.

: )

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
As was mentioned, there are a lot of factors to consider with growth rates, so it's difficult to determine if it is growing slow. Do you have a picture of the tortoise?

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
This thread went off topic in the beginning , but all tortoises grow at different sizes and sometimes shapes.

Im spot on with toms comment: there is a difference between a tort surviving and thriving!

If the owner is fine with you taking it, and you plan on giving it a much better life, than thats great!
Just dont give your hopes up, if they are not willing.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
A slow steady growth rate is appropriate for a tortoise ....rapid growth and constant gorging can prove not to be beneficial to the over all health if a growing tortoise....perhaps this tort is more of a grazer than having loads of grocery store produce offered to it all of the time? That would alsolend a hand in the rapid growth we see as common place with many captive tortoise....

If you are wanting to make that tort part of your household and the person is willing to rehome it and you have plenty of eventual space for another large species....then I would say go for it....

It is hard to say if someone is being a bad host simply because you did not see a water dish....nor a heated house....keep in mind that some torts will not drink from a dish (I host a CDT that will only drink from the dirt ground when I turn on a sprinkler) and I also do not know where the tort is located but if the tort has found a place and way to not freeze then it is equipped with survival skills (burrowing) that allows it to survive the cold which then allows it to thrive during the warmer times....there is nothing wrong with that either...:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Brooke:

If the owner wants to find the tortoise a new home, and if it turns out its male, I say go for it. I'm too lazy to go back and re-read the posts, but I'm thinking you said something about the tortoise's pen being mostly rocks. In that case, once you get him established in a pen with growing grass and weeds, you'll be surprised to see how quickly he starts to grow again.

Besides that...who cares about size. If he's healthy and you like him, get him.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
are you sure its a sulcata? could be a bolsen tortoise they have a very similar appearance to sulcatas at that age. also being in southern cali ive known lots of stories of bolsen torts gettingf smuggled in through tiajuana mexico. Again this goes with all the other previous statements. I know i have had quite a few runt hatchling sulcatas that stayed extremely small. Pics would be the utimate decisive factor in this situation at hand.

emysemys said:
Hi Brooke:

If the owner wants to find the tortoise a new home, and if it turns out its male, I say go for it. I'm too lazy to go back and re-read the posts, but I'm thinking you said something about the tortoise's pen being mostly rocks. In that case, once you get him established in a pen with growing grass and weeds, you'll be surprised to see how quickly he starts to grow again.

I agree. Let him step into the light! Give him the love he needs. : )

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
[/quote]

That was all I was wondering about.. I don't think she is a "bad mom" I know she loves her tort and is tring, I just think that she was mislead about his care

emysemys said:

:D :)

Urtle

5 Year Member
Brooke don't be so worried about it. I am sure its fine, animals do have instincts and i am sure if it was in bad condition you would be able to tell. Either way, If they are looking to give him or her away then you can post some pictures up and we can all examine ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.