Two up from hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Two box turtles came up so far. Waiting for 5 more. Pi and Millie (who looks like a Milton this year ???)
Here's Pi. Pi was the one that was all black as a hatchling.
016-45.jpg

009-65.jpg

029-24.jpg

here's Millie...my little Gulf Coast. (sex is leaning toward male now)
Going for a soak in the big kids pond
014-49.jpg

017-37.jpg

011-63.jpg

021-35.jpg

Now for a soak in the kiddie pond. She went back and forth between ponds all morning. She's still won't go all the way into the bigger pond. Stayed at the edge.
032-17.jpg

005-72.jpg

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Yes I just run the hose in there every few days. It was too much work with the filter, and this works out fine for me. There's a smaller water dish in there for the little guys. I clean that one out every day.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
They both look good, do you think the others will be out soon?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It always amazes me to see a picture of 3' of snow over your yard one day and sunny, greenery the next.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Dmarcus They should all be coming up soon. I'm always so nervous waiting for them. I must go out in the yard a hundred times a day looking to see if any came up. The problem is that it's so cold at night. Tonight will go down into the low 40's again, and the two that came up are already dug under again.

No snow this year at all Yvonne. In fact we had a mild Winter. Crazy!

cmosuna

5 Year Member
Stanton, CA
I was trying to figure out what to say... and all I could come up with is WOW. The enclosures the turtles... Wow

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Pi is so beautiful..i love his white "beard"..he looks like he's "spunky"

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
God I envy your enclosure ! Beautiful pics . How many more are still hibernating ?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
pryncesssc said:
God I envy your enclosure ! Beautiful pics . How many more are still hibernating ?

Thank you. The garden doesn't look pretty now. None of the plants are up yet and I still haven't put any of the annuals in yet. Hopefully it will look better in the Summer. Only two are up and there are still 7 more hibernating. Last night the weather was in the low 40's, and yesterday I didn't see anyone up. Scary!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
It's been going down into the 40's at night now, so the two that came up, went back down. By the end of the week we are supposed to get low 70's. Poor things don't know what to do.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Same situation here :(

terryo said:
Two box turtles came up so far. Waiting for 5 more. Pi and Millie (who looks like a Milton this year ???)
Here's Pi. Pi was the one that was all black as a hatchling.

here's Millie...my little Gulf Coast. (sex is leaning toward male now)
Going for a soak in the big kids pond

Now for a soak in the kiddie pond. She went back and forth between ponds all morning. She's still won't go all the way into the bigger pond. Stayed at the edge.

They look great!! What are you feeding them? Mine has skinny front legs. Yours look like they are doing really well :)!! They look happy and curious :)!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I make a mix of Spring mix, (or any kind of greens) sweet potato (cooked in the microwave) cooked carrots, fruit, turtle brittle,mazuri (soaked) some veggies. Chopped up very small (I use a food processor) For the Box Turtles I add some canned venison. I make the same mix for the tortoises, but without the venison. I give this to them in the morning and then in the late afternoon, I'll give them some worms or for the little one's some pill bugs or red wigglers....etc. The garden is big enough that they can forge around and find something to eat too. They are all good eaters and they love this mix.

006-76.jpg

012-50.jpg

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
terryo said:
I make a mix of Spring mix, (or any kind of greens) sweet potato (cooked in the microwave) cooked carrots, fruit, turtle brittle,mazuri (soaked) some veggies. Chopped up very small (I use a food processor) For the Box Turtles I add some canned venison. I make the same mix for the tortoises, but without the venison. I give this to them in the morning and then in the late afternoon, I'll give them some worms or for the little one's some pill bugs or red wigglers....etc. The garden is big enough that they can forge around and find something to eat too. They are all good eaters and they love this mix.

This is helpful!! I'm going to try your recipe. Sweet potatoes -- haven't tried feeding them that yet. Thanks! What would you recommend instead of Venison?
For some reason mine are not taking to mazuri. But I'm still going to keep trying-- they need options and variety. They are eating fresh greens and my box turtle loves worms. I need to feed my turtle more than once a day... She loves to eat! Thank you for the recipe :) very helpful!!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Diane, I buy Wellness Dog food. I get the Venison and sweet potato, or the whitefish and sweet potato but I also add my own sweet potato. You can add any kind of pellet turtle food too. I like the turtle brittle and the mazuri, but there are others. Each week I put different greens, fruit and veggies, but I always put the sweet potato and carrot. I started getting the Wellness, because my dogs couldn't eat any of the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.