Two story box turtle enclosure

crissyshine

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Durham, NC
His current enclosure:
-3.5 x 2
-two story with ramp
-balcony area is where he goes to warm himself and eat (pieces of slate in warming/ eating area)
-first level has tons of space and water dish (paint tray from Home Depot like $1.50)
-can burrow and has a big area to walk around underneath the balcony and ramp

(The little blue balls in there are small cat toys. He likes to play with them and push them around and hear the little bells inside jingle.)

Going to spruce the enclosure up a bit with grass and plants. Come fall, he will have some leaf litter in there too!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 115
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 107

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
If that is a coil bulb, it needs to be replaced with either a strip UVB reptisun bulb or take out both the coil and heat bulb and replace with a Mercury vapor bulb. They produce all needed uv and heat

crissyshine

5 Year Member
Durham, NC
If that is a coil bulb, it needs to be replaced with either a strip UVB reptisun bulb or take out both the coil and heat bulb and replace with a Mercury vapor bulb. They produce all needed uv and heat
Ok, will do! ASAP.
I like to keep the heat bulb for night time though.
I'm looking on the petsmart website and a lot of the bulbs are for desert reptiles. Which one would you recommend?

Last edited:

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Ok, will do! ASAP.
I'm looking on the petsmart website and a lot of the bulbs are for desert reptiles. Which one would you recommend?

As a night heat source? A ceramic heat emitter attached to a thermostat programed with the correct night temp. If you don't get a thermostat with the CHE it will just keep going up and up and up and overheat the enclosure.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Ok, will do! ASAP.
You don't want a light producing bulb for night time heat. They need total darkness at night.

crissyshine

5 Year Member
Durham, NC
You don't want a light producing bulb for night time heat. They need total darkness at night.
The bulb I have is a black light heat bulb. It produces heat and not light, doesn't over heat the enclosure, and keeps it dark in the enclosure.
I'm going to the pet store today to pick up the correct bulb for daytime uvb/heat (mercury vapor bulb)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
That looks really great. Congrats.

Will PM you now.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
The bulb I have is a black light heat bulb. It produces heat and not light, doesn't over heat the enclosure, and keeps it dark in the enclosure.
I'm going to the pet store today to pick up the correct bulb for daytime uvb/heat (mercury vapor bulb)
Tried to PM you, however it didn't work for some reason or other.