Two Compact Coil Fluorescent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Long Island Greek

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Long Island New York
Currently In my enclosure I have one standard compact coil fluorescent providing my Greek Tortoise Oogway with UVB. Although many have told me that a tube fluorescent would be optimal I was wondering if instead I add an additional compact coil fluorescent. I am wondering just because I have an open top enclosure and use a lamp stand and a dual dome light fixture and if I do need to get the tube instead I will also need to find a way to stabilize it above the enclosure with perhaps a lid.

Do two compact coil Fluorescent work in lieu of one tube fluorescent or should I just invest and get the tube and lid?

Thank you in advance for all your help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You really should not use the coil type at all. They can cause eye damage. There is much debate on them as far as if they have been corrected or not. I personally would not take the chance, as the new CFL that are sold to replace our everyday bulbs have been found to now cause problems with human eyes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most of us recommend against the coil type cfl bulbs. They can sometimes damage reptile eyes. The tube types do not.

Long Island Greek

5 Year Member
Long Island New York
wellington said:
You really should not use the coil type at all. They can cause eye damage. There is much debate on them as far as if they have been corrected or not. I personally would not take the chance, as the new CFL that are sold to replace our everyday bulbs have been found to now cause problems with human eyes.

Thanks for the tip do you recommend a repti-sun 5.0 or 10.0 I have heard it both ways

Tom said:
Most of us recommend against the coil type cfl bulbs. They can sometimes damage reptile eyes. The tube types do not.

Thank you very much for the advice Oogway's health is priority number 1

Status
Not open for further replies.