Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Long Island Greek

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Long Island New York
I am switching my Greek Tortoise off of the compact coil Fluorescent because I have learned it could be harmful to my Greek Tortoises eyes. I have heard alot of people using the Power Sun bulbs which emit UVA/UVB and heat. Also a popular choice seems to be the Repti-sun Tube fluorescent bulbs particularly the 10.0 bulbs. Which do more members use and trust? I just want to ensure my Tortoise has the best enclosure possible. Also currently I use infrared bulbs to supply heat, is it significantly better to use ceramic heat emitters instead?

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I used the reptisun 10.0. I have heard too many conflicting things about the MVB bulbs like powersun. What I would do is get the reptisun 10.0 and then a CHE for heat. They aren't necessarily better than the infared bulbs, I don't think, but even the infared probably emit some visible light to the tortoise. I think they last longer, too, if I'm not mistaken. But if the infared bulbs work, you mght as well keep using them.

Long Island Greek

5 Year Member
Long Island New York
futureleopardtortoise said:
I used the reptisun 10.0. I have heard too many conflicting things about the MVB bulbs like powersun. What I would do is get the reptisun 10.0 and then a CHE for heat. They aren't necessarily better than the infared bulbs, I don't think, but even the infared probably emit some visible light to the tortoise. I think they last longer, too, if I'm not mistaken. But if the infared bulbs work, you mght as well keep using them.

Thank you very much for the reply, I truly appreciate it :)

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I would recommend the 100W. Every 160W I have bought and used has blown out/malfunctioned in less than a few months. Yeah yeah, I know they have a warranty, but I'm too lazy to go through the trouble of it...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I use the mvb. Have been thinking about changing it but i like the fact it's the best UVB. I also like it is three in one, heat, light, UVB. I would not get the 160 either. Too hot. Would have to have it too high to get the 95-100 basking temps.i would also use the CHE, no light.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
When kept indoors, I have a Powersun 160 at one end...and a 100W CHE at the other!

Status
Not open for further replies.