Turtleyard Introduce Yourself

Jcubed

Location (City and/or State)
Southeast New Mexico
Joined tortoiseforum today. Our family enjoys our wild born box turtles that live in our backyard. We provide food, water and shelter for 7 adult ornate box turtles and ended this summer with 5 babies. They provide us (especially me) with endless wonder and joy. I am not an expert, just a lover and admirer of these amazing creatures. The adults were relocated to our yard from my grandmother in law's yard who passed away. The family didn't want to see the turtles neglected so all who were found were rehomed. We had 3 others, but they dug out and ran away which made me very sad. Our yard has since been reinforced and no one should be making any unexpected escapes. We are on our 4th year with them. Most of my friends and family think I've become a "crazy turtle lady", but that's ok with me. My husband and two sons also enjoy the turtles, but it is me who spends WAY too much time in the back yard during the warm months feeding, watering, soaking, talking to, hunting for and taking pictures of our little turtle family. Ornate box turtles are native to our region of Southeast New Mexico. I am currently missing their activity as they have buried in for the cold months. We also have 2 cats and a dog who all get along wonderfully with the turtles. So, that's me--thanks for having me. I also enjoy posting pictures on Instagram @turtleyard

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. I can't believe you said you take lots of pics of them and you didn't post not one. How date you LOL. We will let you slide this time.
Also, I want to let you know, that dogs and turtles/tortoises do not mix. The turtles, more often then not become a chew toy. Just want you to know this, as we have seen too many threads about a chewed turtle/tort from those who thought their dog would never bother the shelled member.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Please ensure (as i expect you already do) that the dogs are supervised at all times when with the turtles.
Photos would e greatly appreciated if you have some to share.:)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. Dogs have already been mentioned, but I have to share my story. My dog never paid any attention to my leopard tortoise, Mort. For several years it was not a problem. One day it was. I was lucky and Mort was big enough, that his shell was not cracked or crushed. He was chewed up pretty bad, and left on his back in the sun. Fortunately I found him, and he is ok. He has some pretty gnarly scars to show for the day Daisy suddenly decided he was a chew toy.

Jcubed

Southeast New Mexico
Thank you to all for the welcomes. In response to those concerned about our dog, please rest assured she is not a threat to our turtles. Yes, she is supervised and did I mention she is a 6 lb schnoodle-primarily a lap dog (6 yrs old). Again, I appreciate the concerns and in 4 years none of them have been accosted by her. :)
As far as posting pictures. I will work on that. I am a complete noob to this type of thing, so thanks for your patience. I'm not even on FB--so, excuse my clumsiness as I navigate this new thing.

Here's a pic of one of the hatchlings from this summer
IMG_4211.JPG

Last edited:

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Joined tortoiseforum today. Our family enjoys our wild born box turtles that live in our backyard. We provide food, water and shelter for 7 adult ornate box turtles and ended this summer with 5 babies. They provide us (especially me) with endless wonder and joy. I am not an expert, just a lover and admirer of these amazing creatures. The adults were relocated to our yard from my grandmother in law's yard who passed away. The family didn't want to see the turtles neglected so all who were found were rehomed. We had 3 others, but they dug out and ran away which made me very sad. Our yard has since been reinforced and no one should be making any unexpected escapes. We are on our 4th year with them. Most of my friends and family think I've become a "crazy turtle lady", but that's ok with me. My husband and two sons also enjoy the turtles, but it is me who spends WAY too much time in the back yard during the warm months feeding, watering, soaking, talking to, hunting for and taking pictures of our little turtle family. Ornate box turtles are native to our region of Southeast New Mexico. I am currently missing their activity as they have buried in for the cold months. We also have 2 cats and a dog who all get along wonderfully with the turtles. So, that's me--thanks for having me. I also enjoy posting pictures on Instagram @turtleyard
A very warm welcome to the forum!