New Sulcata

KaliSue

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi,
My name is Kali and my husband and I just brought home our Sulcata "Koopa" yesterday. I am excited to learn more about our new family member and connect with others who love these tortoises as well.
I became very intrigued by turtles and tortoises when I was young. My mom used to have turtles when she was younger. After hearing all her stories, I have wanted to add one to our family. I couldn't be happier to finally have one.
We currently reside in Southern California.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Do you have a hatchling or an older one? Great threads to read at the bottom of my post. Oh and we love pics

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

KaliSue

Southern California
Thank you everyone for your warm welcomes! Also thank you for the various links of information.
Koopa is a hatchling and fits in the palm of my hand. S/He is quite active, a great eater and drinker as well. I expected Koopa to hide from us the first few days, but that hasn't been the case.
Below is a picture of little Koopa from a few days ago.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Hi and welcome from the Desert !
m0754.gif
Kali and Koopa . :)

KaliSue

Southern California
Welcome to TFO!!:tort: Koopa is adorable! What is your enclosure like?
We currently have a 20 gallon tank with Cyprus mulch, UV light, water, food and a half log that I am soaking in water daily for a humid hide away. We will be buying a new home here soon so I will be making a safe outdoor sanctuary for Koopa. I am reading a lot of threads and will be adjusting as I learn new things.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We currently have a 20 gallon tank with Cyprus mulch, UV light, water, food and a half log that I am soaking in water daily for a humid hide away. We will be buying a new home here soon so I will be making a safe outdoor sanctuary for Koopa. I am reading a lot of threads and will be adjusting as I learn new things.

The following is intended to be helpful tips:
1. 20 is too small. You need something bigger. Preferably something with an closed top to hold your heat and humidity in. It is difficult to provide the correct conditions in an enclosure that is too small.
2. Soaking a half log does not a humid hide make. Those half logs are good for hiding spots, but they are too open to contain adequate humidity. You need a plastic box of some sort. I use black plastic dishwashing tubs from Walmart. They only cost $1.82. I flip them over and cut out a door hole just big enough for the tortoise. You'll have to periodically enlarge the hole as he grows.
3. What sort of UV bulb are you using? The cfl types that screw in can sometimes burn their eyes. If you are using one of those, I'd shut it off right now.
4. Orchid bark works better than cypress mulch, but this is more of a personal preference thing.

All of this and more is explained in detail in the threads I linked above.

KaliSue

Southern California
The following is intended to be helpful tips:
1. 20 is too small. You need something bigger. Preferably something with an closed top to hold your heat and humidity in. It is difficult to provide the correct conditions in an enclosure that is too small.
2. Soaking a half log does not a humid hide make. Those half logs are good for hiding spots, but they are too open to contain adequate humidity. You need a plastic box of some sort. I use black plastic dishwashing tubs from Walmart. They only cost $1.82. I flip them over and cut out a door hole just big enough for the tortoise. You'll have to periodically enlarge the hole as he grows.
3. What sort of UV bulb are you using? The cfl types that screw in can sometimes burn their eyes. If you are using one of those, I'd shut it off right now.
4. Orchid bark works better than cypress mulch, but this is more of a personal preference thing.

All of this and more is explained in detail in the threads I linked above.
Thank you Tom, we will be purchasing a larger aquarium for Koopa. The person we bought Koopa from did not give us the correct details of the species Koopa was. So we had this stuff before Koopa came home with us. After researching, we found out the type of Tortoise Koopa really is. So this will be a learning and making adjustments as we go deal.
I plan to now run to Walmart tonight and purchase a proper humid hide away. I defiantly want the best of the best for my tortoise. I'm a bit obsessed over this little one.
I will have to ask my husband about the bulb, since he was the one who picked it out and we no longer have the packaging to it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you Tom, we will be purchasing a larger aquarium for Koopa. The person we bought Koopa from did not give us the correct details of the species Koopa was. So we had this stuff before Koopa came home with us. After researching, we found out the type of Tortoise Koopa really is. So this will be a learning and making adjustments as we go deal.
I plan to now run to Walmart tonight and purchase a proper humid hide away. I defiantly want the best of the best for my tortoise. I'm a bit obsessed over this little one.
I will have to ask my husband about the bulb, since he was the one who picked it out and we no longer have the packaging to it.

Aquariums can be pretty expensive, and you can buy a very large plastic bin, or a horse/cattle trough for a much cheaper price.