Turtle eggs laid in my yard

ClutchFan

Hi everyone, a "wild" box turtle laid eggs in my yard a couple of weeks ago. She lives in some woods behind my house (maybe 5 or 10 acres, a groundwater recharge basin that never has any water in it), and lays eggs in my front yard almost every year. In 2011, the first time we caught her in the act, my ex-wife and I collected the baby turtles when they hatched (they hatched on the day hurricane Irene hit) and raised them in captivity for about a year, and then released them in the field. In 2012 we gathered the turtles and immediately released them. In 2013 she either didn't lay eggs, or we didn't catch her in the act.

That brings us to this year's batch. I'd like to do whatever I can to ensure survival of all the turtles, because my understanding is that box turtles are in a decline due to loss of habitat. If I leave them alone, chances are they'll never get back to the field where their mother lives, because there are various curbs and obstacles in the way (she's able to climb steps but obviously the babies can't). The most likely scenario is that they end up in the street and get washed down a drain or run over.

I don't want to raise them myself again - it worked out ok last time but one of the turtles got too much protein (not way too much but he clearly grew too fast for his shell), so I'd rather let someone with more experience do it.

Or I can just gather them when they hatch and immediately release in the field, but I'm concerned they'll become lunch for raccoons, opossums or foxes (all of which have been seen there as well).

Any suggestions on how to handle them? Thanks in advance : )

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think gathering them up and releasing them back into the field is the best bet. You just have to let nature take its course, and hopefully the babies will find hiding places where the raccoons can't find them.

I don't know the laws in your state, but even that little bit of interference/help may be against the law.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

ClutchFan

well my neighbor told me yesterday that a box turtle was hit by a car in front of my house a few days ago. I assume it's the mom who laid these eggs every year. So her tradition is over, which makes me more determined to make sure her last batch of babies survives. In this situation I'm not a fan of letting nature take its course.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Th
well my neighbor told me yesterday that a box turtle was hit by a car in front of my house a few days ago. I assume it's the mom who laid these eggs every year. So her tradition is over, which makes me more determined to make sure her last batch of babies survives. In this situation I'm not a fan of letting nature take its course.
The problem is, if you raise them up for very long, you will not be able to release them to the wild. So your choice is to release them as soon as they hatch and let nature be nature, or set up a nice area and adopt them!

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Th

The problem is, if you raise them up for very long, you will not be able to release them to the wild. So your choice is to release them as soon as they hatch and let nature be nature, or set up a nice area and adopt them!

Seconded, Just protect the nest and move them out back as soon as they hatch. Otherwise they wont know how to take care of themselves and will be in more danger.