Huge Turtle Eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
My smallest ornate loves to make huge eggs. 2 Novembers ago, she laid large eggs, 2 infertile, 1 fertile but died in development. Last September 2010, she laid 1, I had to perform emergency cloacal aspiration on the 2nd, and a trip to the vets confirmed more huge eggs that were aspirated & passed with no issues. So, guess what time it is again? Egg time!

Trip to the vet today reveals 3 eggs, 2 normal-large size, but passable, and 1 that is iffy. Here are the rads for 2010 & i will post today's when I get them.

Has anyone had this issue, and/or have an explanation for the cause of huge internal egg development? All of my other box turtles lay normal eggs.

Attachments

• CINDYS RAD2 2010.JPG
    CINDYS RAD2 2010.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 88

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Krissy:

I really love looking at tortoise X-rays. Thank you so much for posting that picture for us.

Its a shame that she can't pass them. I'd love to see the babies that would grow and hatch out of them! I'll bet she's not doing much eating these days!

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
Actually, she's eating like crazy! This little girl does everything possible to stress me out over her! I haven't received the current radiographs, but as soon as i get those I will post. This round's eggs aren't quite as large as 2010, but still pretty big. I plan on incubating any eggs that make it, but momma's health comes first. If they hatch I will def post pics.

zesty_17 said:
Actually, she's eating like crazy! This little girl does everything possible to stress me out over her! I haven't received the current radiographs, but as soon as i get those I will post. This round's eggs aren't quite as large as 2010, but still pretty big. I plan on incubating any eggs that make it, but momma's health comes first. If they hatch I will def post pics.

Here's little Cindy.

Attachments

• IMG_1373.JPG
    IMG_1373.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 42

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
How big is she? From what I can see she looks captive raised and probably should have been bigger. Her body is telling her she should be laying big eggs, even though she never got big enough to pass them.
Personally if she were mine, I wouldn't let her have contact with any males. Sooner or later she is going to have a problem. Just my thoughts :D

Danny

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
those are huge eggs. though even if she were isolated from males there is a good chance she'll develope more eggs as boxers can store sperm and sometimes like alot of other reptiles lay eggs even without a mate though in most cases they would be infertile. though judging from the size of those eggs i would strongly caution you about mating her.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
Yes, she is still young, and small-about 400g, up 20g since last year. Comparable to my other adult female that is 520g. Since her first clutch, she is not allowed with males, however these last 2 clutches have been from stored sperm. Aside from being big, the eggs are otherwise healthy, and probably fertile. I am working with a few experienced vets for her special case, and at this point we are letting her do everything naturally. Because she is very healthy & tries to lay the eggs naturally, we are allowing her to do that and only intervene medically after 24hrs of unsuccessful laying. From todays xrays, it shows 2 large but passable eggs, and only one that is large and round. Last year she passed the eggs within 1 hour of aspirating the contents through the femoral fossae, and exhibiting normal behavior. 2 days worth of meds & lots of close supervision by me, she is doing great-lol, great enough to try again i guess.

tczar

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
el paso tx
I keep most of my males and females seperated now. In the forty years of raising desert ornates and having lots of hatchlings I have not yet seen an egg.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
tczar said:
I keep most of my males and females seperated now. In the forty years of raising desert ornates and having lots of hatchlings I have not yet seen an egg.
wow, you have some very good mommas then!

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
zesty_17 said:
My smallest ornate loves to make huge eggs. 2 Novembers ago, she laid large eggs, 2 infertile, 1 fertile but died in development. Last September 2010, she laid 1, I had to perform emergency cloacal aspiration on the 2nd, and a trip to the vets confirmed more huge eggs that were aspirated & passed with no issues. So, guess what time it is again? Egg time!

Trip to the vet today reveals 3 eggs, 2 normal-large size, but passable, and 1 that is iffy. Here are the rads for 2010 & i will post today's when I get them.

Has anyone had this issue, and/or have an explanation for the cause of huge internal egg development? All of my other box turtles lay normal eggs.

2011 xray of Cindy's eggs... vet says 2of3 are passable, but i am hesitant.

Attachments

• file_1.jpg
    file_1.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 21
Status
Not open for further replies.