SW Forida
A couple new pictures of TUFF.

34xm49c.jpg

2mr9laf.jpg

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Now I'm curious as to how he can be on the grass or wood with a part of his shell missing. How did you take care of that one? You could shoot me a picture of it I'd like to see it if you wouldn't mind.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
For all the TFO members who are interested, I can explain what is going on with this young aldabra.

When Tuff was born the center seam of the plastron at his tail was not properly developed, it never fused where the two opposing plates meet. So the seam that runs down the middle of his plastron is not joined at the last 4cm before the tail, the gap is probably about .5cm wide.

The Organs that are in that location have nothing to protect them and from what I understang from Greg, occasionally the organs herniate through the opening. To make matters more complicated Tuff has an exposed penis, it is not sheathed within the tail. From the Photos posted none of this is visible giving Tuff the appearance of a normal tortoise.

Its a good thing for Tuff, as we have all said, that he was born into Greg's herd so there is no question about the quality of life that this tortoise will have.

Thank you Greg for allowing me to share this and quell the curiousity.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Livingstone said:
For all the TFO members who are interested, I can explain what is going on with this young aldabra.

When Tuff was born the center seam of the plastron at his tail was not properly developed, it never fused where the two opposing plates meet. So the seam that runs down the middle of his plastron is not joined at the last 4cm before the tail, the gap is probably about .5cm wide.

The Organs that are in that location have nothing to protect them and from what I understang from Greg, occasionally the organs herniate through the opening. To make matters more complicated Tuff has an exposed penis, it is not sheathed within the tail. From the Photos posted none of this is visible giving Tuff the appearance of a normal tortoise.

Its a good thing for Tuff, as we have all said, that he was born into Greg's herd so there is no question about the quality of life that this tortoise will have.

Thank you Greg for allowing me to share this and quell the curiousity.
Thank you, that was great! We are hoping for surgical correction if possible at the direction of our vets. We are very optimistic and he is doing great, just needs to grow longer and get bigger.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Aw, Tuff is a little cutie. I am so happy that he is in great hands that will take great care of him :)

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Tuff has a precious looking face! The look of curiosity.
I do hope he lives a long happy life! I'm sure he will! :)

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Wow.. that is amazing. It really blows my mind how these little guys can live pretty well with the complications they go through. He sure does look great though!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
How big are the Vets thinking he will need to be? What are they thinking of doing? Just kinda thinking about how he will be constantly growing. so will the "fix" need to be updated as well? Also thinking of the weight he will get and just the normal amount of abuse that area gets.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Greg you have to keep us all tuffdated. Im curious whether the gap will close or spread as size increases.

pandacakes

5 Year Member
Oregon
He's in the best of care being in your herd :) What a beautiful little tortoise! can't wait to hear updates on him

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Aww bless him. He is in the most capable hands being in your herd :)

I'm just interested but would it be possible for me to see some photos?
My mum studied to be a vet and I wanted to be a vet (long story as to why she isn't a vet anymore and why i can't study to be a vet).
We both have a lot of interest in things like this.
I completely understand if you don't want to share the photos :)

It'll be great to keep up to date with his story.
How are the vets thinking they might be able to fix it all? Are they going to rebuild the shell in that area? (i have seen that done before, my dentists husband is a vet and he fixes tortoise shells with dental mold, don't know the correct name for it)
Also same question as Jacqui, how old/big will he have to be before they think they can help him?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Very cool ..... and with the great care he receives ...I'm sure the little guy will be a winner all the way !
^5

JD~:)

Status
Not open for further replies.