Trying to hibernate ??

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I think i have found the problem guys its eyes are barely openable so i think its the eyes... Ive applied eye drops and it seems to be getting better it can now open both of its eyes quite easily

I think ants are the culprit... They bit its eyes -,-
Oh no! I'm so glad you've found what happened. Now be very careful while you get rid of them ... Tofu cannot come into contact with any poisons.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Heres some better pics
I don't want to sound harsh but you've been told a couple times in other threads that you cannot keep a Sulcata tortoise like that. Im sorry but you cannot raise a Sulcata (or any other Tortoise for that matter) in a soup bowl with cardboard hides. Nobody here will be able to help you with anything about your tortoise unless you get it setup correctly.

Tofu

Surabaya
I don't want to sound harsh but you've been told a couple times in other threads that you cannot keep a Sulcata tortoise like that. Im sorry but you cannot raise a Sulcata (or any other Tortoise for that matter) in a soup bowl with cardboard hides. Nobody here will be able to help you with anything about your tortoise unless you get it setup correctly.

Yes i know that Tod and that's why I've made a new post about a new enclosure that ill be making.. go check it out its title is "New enclosure for sulcata" or something like that

Thanks for your respond ! :D

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
I've read that sulcata tortoises don't hibernate but I'm just trying to make sure, Tofu is a sulcata tortoise and it seems to be slowing down it walks less usually walks 5 or 6 steps and then stops and lays down I've placed it on grass for it to graze but seems to take only 5-6 bites and then sleeps but when I gave it some cucumber it immediately springs into action and starts slurping the middle part of the cucumber since the outer side is a too hard for it to bite through. It has no problem with opening its eyes just.. not that wide It doesn't have a runny nose its poo looks good (firm moist and has got a bit of green in it but its probably because of the mustard greens I gave it last time). overall it's not as active as it used to be. Should I be worried is it just sleepy or is it trying to hibernate?

And here's a photo of it
His eyes do not look good. When was the last time he had a good long soak? I do mine daily and he is one yr old.

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
Hi um i was told by Tom to not use the cfl type UVB bulb and so i just stopped using UVB bulbs since i can give tofu 20 mins of sunlight or more daily and this is his current enclosure... Still lookung for a bigger enclosure
You cannot raise him in a bowl! He needs an enclosed chamber to control humidity and heat. Poor baby

Tofu

Surabaya
Thanks for posting and helping out sue ! :D im currently building a new enclosure for it with a lid and its watery eyes turned out to be HFS (hatchling failure syndrome) and im trying my best to get him through it and staying alive

Tofu

Surabaya
Its condition now is a lot better the vet gave it antibiotics to make sure that it doesnt get a secondary disease and gave it vitamins to replenish deficiencies.
Its active now and its appetite is slowly but surely coming back

Its previous owner turns out was selling Tofu for profit.... Tofu has been sick before i adopted it but at least its getting better now.
Lets hope that it can go through this hfs

Last edited:

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
Its condition now is a lot better the vet gave it antibiotics to make sure that it doesnt get a secondary disease and gave it vitamins to replenish deficiencies.
Its active now and its appetite is slowly but surely coming back

Its previous owner turns out was selling Tofu for profit.... Tofu has been sick before i adopted it but at least its getting better now.
Lets hope that it can go through this hfs
Wish you and Tofu a great long friend ship

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
wow, i have never heard of someone using a Soup bowl as a tortoise enclosure, you have make some changes the temperature and humidity of that is not gonna work. please don’t keep your tortoise on a... Soup bowl.

Tofu

Surabaya
Yes xD im planning to make changes.. the materials for the new enclosure that ive made should arrive at any moment now..
Planning to build its enclosure today wish me luck :D