Trying to hibernate

Clementine's Keeper

Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Texas
My 3 year old Russian lives outside for most of the year (Houston, Texas), and inside for the cold weather. I've never hibernated her.
It's still 80-90 degrees during the day here with night temps in the low 70s but she seems to be trying to hibernate.
I keep digging her up and giving her a long warm soak. She seems totally healthy and eats a little but will go right back to her hide and bury herself. Why is she doing this when it's still so warm and should I keep digging her up or leave her alone?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Whether it’s warm or not your outside tortoise will have noticed that the days are shortening. Once they are decided it’s time, it’s time. :confused:

Despite our warm weather we gave up a week ago and put our tortoise into her fridge; she was determined to hibernate. You either need to keep her up in a proper indoor enclosure or decide how she is going to hibernate.

If it’s hibernation, be sure to see that she goes approximately two weeks without eating beforehand; she will probably take care of this herself but it’s best to stop tempting her to eat if you aren’t planning to keep her awake.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
My Russian will not be bruminating this year based on his desire to eat! If I put food out he eats. I will let him decide in the future

AliG

Uk
Mr Randy stopped eating about 4 weeks ago, i have periodically soaked him and finally this week he has decided that being tucked up under his dirt and leaves (indoors) that it was time for a rest, night night see you in the spring x