True or false? (pine as a building material)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richmond2

5 Year Member
S it true that tortoises do not like the site or smell or pine wood and it effects them ?
Because I was going to produce a enclosure made from pine wood

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
RE: True or false?

pine can be toxic... like in shavings..
it depends on what you are using the wood for and how.. my outdoor walls are pine, but its outside and its not an issue..

Richmond2

5 Year Member

I will be using it inside and of the whole enclosure

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

I don't necessarily like pine....however...if maybe you lined the inside of the enclosure that would keep your tortoise from ever coming in contact with the wood...:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

You can use pine as a building material. What we talk about with pine and tortoises is the shavings. You mustn't use pine shavings with turtles and tortoises. But wood that you use for building projects has been dried and the aromatic oils are pretty diminished.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska

There is a wide-spread belief that the aromatic oils in pine, cedar, etc. are harmful to the eyes, lungs, or skin of chelonians or other reptiles. There are many anecdotal examples of what can go wrong, but few clinical or research based examples. Dr. Mader's book "Reptile Medicine and Surgery" mentions cedar shavings as a risk, but does not mention any issues with pine. There is a group of people in the pet-keeping world who believe that the pine issues are overblown and based on too few cases that may be due to other things entirely.

That said, there is probably no real risk with pine as a building material. As for shavings- there are much better options for tortoises regardless of any possible health issues.

Kyoki

5 Year Member
Orlando, Florida
Good to know that it's safe as a building material. I was going to ask the same thing before I start building Bowser's new home. You beat me to it! :p

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
according to my former zoo vet here in Tampa... if ingested pine produces estrogen like chemical compounds very much like soy and is pretty much like giving your tortoise birth control, not to mention the oils/scent cause respiratory irritants.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Richmond2 said:
S it true that tortoises do not like the site or smell or pine wood and it effects them ?
Because I was going to produce a enclosure made from pine wood
Pine or any wood or other material used should be someone sealed to prevent moisture absorbtion which in turn can prevent rot and fungul growth. By sealing the wood you are creating a barrier between moisture and the wood itself. As long as the enclosure is not constantly soaking wet, which it shouldn't be, the sealer that you use will protect the wood. This in turn also eliminates all odors given off by the wood.
Regardless of that, pine is perfectly save to use for animal enclosures anyway.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Few people will be building with green pine. The aged stuff we buy in a lumber yard has dried out and the oils and smells dissipated. There's probably a greater, but still insignificant, risk from the chemicals with which timber is pressure treated to prevent worm and decay.

Status
Not open for further replies.