Pine hide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sachmn

5 Year Member
Alright, so I know that pine substrate can irritate Redfoots, would this also apply to a hide?
I bought one at Pet-Co, and when I got home I realized that it might be Pine, I'm not entirely sure though. I haven't taken the tag off yet, since I wanted to get some opinions on this. I'm leaning toward better safe than sorry but if others are using them without issue then I'll keep mine as well.

Manufacturer is MAC's Creatures and Critters...can't find any info on them or the wood that they use.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
If you are talking about those hollowed-out half-logs, I've used them for twenty years with all sorts of animals including torts with absolutely no problems. I've got one in with my two year old sullie right now. If its brand new, rinse it real well with hot water, soak it over night in hot water, then let it air dry out in the sun for a couple of days and you'll be good to go. Most people just throw them straight into an enclosure and have no problem, but I'm a little ... uh... over-zealous sometimes.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
We have discussed this before with the rodent edible hides they sell at Walmart that some here use for hatchlings. Most people agreed that it was fine, and the problem with the substrate was the oils and the close continued contact the animal makes with substrate. I'd be fine with the hide (for example I don't even know what kind of wood our log hide is made of). I have a pine wood enclosure and did a lot of research to come up with my view that it is fine as long as it isn't the substrate. I don't see how hot water and sun would do anything to make it safer. Can you explain that, Roachman26? Best wishes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The pine tree scraps are ground up and packaged up and sold. So all the oils that were there in the tree are still in the bag. Pine wood products are usually kiln dried, effectively cooking all the oils out of the product. They also do something to the hides to make the bark stick to the wood. I doubt that there are any oils left to harm your tortoise, but sounds like Tom's idea (Roachman) is a good one if you are worried about it.

sachmn

5 Year Member
Thanks for the informative replies. I assumed it was okay because of a lack of physical contact with the tortoise but it never hurts to ask what others think.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
tortoisenerd said:
We have discussed this before with the rodent edible hides they sell at Walmart that some here use for hatchlings. Most people agreed that it was fine, and the problem with the substrate was the oils and the close continued contact the animal makes with substrate. I'd be fine with the hide (for example I don't even know what kind of wood our log hide is made of). I have a pine wood enclosure and did a lot of research to come up with my view that it is fine as long as it isn't the substrate. I don't see how hot water and sun would do anything to make it safer. Can you explain that, Roachman26? Best wishes.

The hot water rinse and soak will get rid of any chemical residues and just generally clean it up. Who knows where its been or what was being sprayed in the warehouse where it was stored before shipment. Cleaning products, insecticides, etc. Places where a lot of those type of "natural" products accumulate tend to attract bugs. When some warehouse worker see's bugs on or near the product he instinctively goes and gets the bugspray, right?

The sun and fresh air just helps dry it out.

I just do this with all cage furniture, just to be safe. Remember, I house a lot of expensive bugs and spiders too, so it pays to be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.