Trouble Laying

hollyh

5 Year Member
Hi I got 8 year old herman tortoise that was x-rayed and showed to have 7eggs has laid 6 eggs and showing no signs of laying 7th egg. I can feel the egg she had oxtocin for last 5 days and still not passed I given her warm baths and built nesting box with heat on. Is there anything I can do to get her to lay the egg without taking back to the vets.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't know if it works with tortoises, but when I used to breed birds we would partially cover the cage and shine a light over the cage giving her extra warmth.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Without much information it is hard to really help. Normally egg retention is due to something wrong with husbandry/conditions. Diet, temperature, Enclosure with no suitable place to lay and/or soil temperatures too low, are all common causes. Administering oxytocin without regard to these issues is not a good idea. Calcium levels are very important in egg laying and with chelonians oxytocin would be administered after also giving calcium. But without addressing the true cause of the egg retention, this is only a temporary solution to this one time that may well reoccur.

For now, as @Yvonne G mentions, heat will help. I would prefer a nice warm (95°F) soak for at least 45 minutes. Then in a nice warm place with good warm substrate.