14 Clutches: My 2012 hermann breeding experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGB

5 Year Member
This seems completely crazy to me, and I have read nothing similar to it. It seems un-natural and frankly, unhealthy....
but my female hermann tortoise won't stop laying eggs.

I have posted previously her story about laying cracked eggs which does appear to be calcium related.
I documented her egg laying history for 2012, which is her only year of breeding. I bought her in late 2011 at a reported age of 7, and a weight of 950-1000g. In retrospect she should have been kept seperate from my male until she had full health, because when i bought her she couldn't lift her shell very well. She is much stronger now, although you can see from the pyramiding in the pic below she does have some MBD.

Her is her data:

14 clutches totalling 36 eggs (1-4 eggs/clutch)
14 broke during delivery
2 were manually broken as she was egg bound on one occasion with two eggs
20 were delivered intact
8 were fertile
-2 hatched healthy
-2 died in shell (one never developed an egg tooth)
-1 split due to high humidity (oops!)
-3 currently incubating

Comments:
1. I stopped her contact with the male, but she continued to lay at the same rate. In past 2 months I decided if she is going to keep laying eggs, she might as well be bred, so I began allowing occasional contact with my male. She began laying fertile eggs again, like she did early in the process.

2. I seem to be able to reduce the cracking rate of the eggs by increasing calcium. I have always added lots of calcium carbonate to her food and she will eat cuttle bone in her enclosure, especially for days before egg laying. The most effective method I used was liquid calcium lactogluconate but knowing what dose to give is unknown to me, so when I was using it at the largest dose, she got egg bound and I wonder if the eggs were too calcified/lost flexibility. I have resorted to adding a much smaller dose recently and she just layed 4 eggs, one cracked, but 3 fertile ones did not.

3. I am completely shocked at this experience. I postulated too much calcium may be driving a need to lay eggs, so for a while i held back calcium and she just laid more cracked thin eggs. I have not been able to find any experience similar to this online so I thought I would post it. She behaves more like a hen than a tortoise! A snake breeder told me recently that he had a snake like this that wouldn't stop laying until he removed the male from his house! I can't do that, so I have nothing else to try.....

Just wanted to share, and if there are any constructive comments, I'd love to hear them!
Thanks,
Bob

side.jpg

image-126268503.png

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
Laying eggs is very costly to the female in terms of lost nutrition. You should up her nutrition, protein, calories, and increase calcium. I certainly wouldn't remove the male either. All those broken eggs is a waste to her, as well as income to you. I don't know why she's a laying machine, but I think you should make every effort to maximize your hatch rate. 36 babies would be much better than 2-5.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
That is an awesome production level. I second yagyujubei's recommendations.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I "third" this motion.

I must say. Your post was an excellent one. Every needed detail was there. Very well written.

I have this same experience with my female sulcatas. In 2011, they just kept laying and laying all year long. We had a very mild winter (most of December and Jan saw high temps around 80), and most of that summer was in the low 90's with cool nights, instead of the usual 100+ every day. What worked for me, to prevent thin shelled weak eggs, was lots of calcium carbonate powder, and Mazuri two or three times a week. I also fed a lot of opuntia, mulberry leaves and other foods that are supposed to be very calcium rich, and their water is well water that is very high in mineral content, but still, they needed the calcium powder too.

Mazuri is pretty nutrient dense and properly balanced with calcium too. I would offer lots of this to your female. Also realize that these things sometimes go in cycles. She laid a lot last year, but she might slow down this year and lay a more "normal" amount. My females this year, 2012, with the more normal weather, only laid 3-4 clutches a piece. 2011 saw 6-8 clutches from each female.

Either way. Its pretty cool. I hope you are able to increase your hatch rate this year. Hermanni are great tortoises and I wish more people bred them.

RGB

5 Year Member
Thanks Guys! Very useful feedback!
I will continue and do my best to increase her nutrition and general health. Hopefully the next year will yield less cracked eggs!
Bob

RGB

5 Year Member
Update:Another clutch of 3 broken eggs. :(
She dug a nest, buried it empty and then laid 3 broken eggs on the surface (came out broken and crushed). I have given her lots of calcium and nutrition. UV lights provided. It's very frustrating!! Hopefully she will improve with time as her health and MBD improves.
Bob

EricIvins

5 Year Member
This isn't crazy. This is how these animals should work......Recruitment is one of the most important aspect of a Tortoises lifespan. Your care is compelling in the fact that the animal can do what comes natural to it. The only way to physically make her stop is to provide sub par husbandry or cool her down for a few months........

With that said, you do need to tweak your husbandry to provide the proper nutrition the animal needs. Mazuri. Whole Rodents or Fish. This animal isn't necessarily going to eat more, but the food you do provide needs to be spot on otherwise these issues will persist and will eventually lead to the animals death. Protein and Calcium are one of the key aspects to keep an egg laying Female healthy........

Status
Not open for further replies.