Trip to the Vet

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Im feeling like the abtibiotics arent doing much at all, but the the dewormer did make him poop (my opinion). He needed something soft I think and im not sure why he even is getting these antibiotics.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
My leopard never poops in his daily soak - only wees - but when he seems constipated cucumber seems to get things moving and if I grate it, it goes pulpy, then put it on his usual food it seems to work quite quickly. Aloe vera worked well too after someone told me it works as a laxative. Glad to hear he's eating.

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Okay everybody I have some great news! I took Simin out today to feed him. I set out mustard, turnip, and collard greens, as well as kale and he poked at them, but walked away, i added a small amount of baby food carrot on a leaf, still not ammused. As soon as i put raddicchio down, he started eating EVERYTHING. He ate for about 15 minutes just chomping away. He seems to love raddicchio, but he did eat most of the other greens as well. Heres my question to everyone and especially @YvonneG do i proceed in finishing the remaining 3 Baytril shots, or do I stop the antibiotics and let him be. My other question is should I get probiotics to help him after his antibiotics or are they not useful now that hes eating? Thanks guys!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
That's great! Hopefully well on the way to recovery now. My leopard loves radicchio too! Will eat it first every time out of his Florette bag, then eats the frisee and lastly the lambs lettuce, but best of all he loves his dandelions!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Glad he is eating. Only you can decide if you should finish the meds. It is usually not reccommened to stop in the middle. I think the TnT is a recommended product. I don't use it, but a lot of people do.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Me, if it was my tortoise. Probiotics, yes.
And NO MORE BAYTRIL. Leopard tortoises are especially allergic/reactive to it, leading to possible DEATH.
You dodged a bullet if you ask me.

As an add, Baytril is not approved for tortoises according to the people who make it, Bayer Animal Health, Monheim, Germany office.
I learned this when I was trying to get support for the desert tortoises in Nevada that were being euthanized due to land being needed for foreign interests.
Like many concerned Americans ... trying to protect the protected from the protectors. And lo and behold the Baytril info happened.
Thankfully. But the Tortoise Trust website, the link that Yvonne gave you, has already warned people about their experience with it. Take heed.