Trip to the Vet

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
We are at the vet with Simon currently and they have prescribed antibiotics and a dewormer for him because if his recent lack of interest in eating. Is this a good prescription and will this help him eat more? I read antibiotics make them lose their appetite. Do i need to get probiotics while he is on his medication or?...

Please help!

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Antibiotics are for an infection, what do they think is invested? Do they think he has a respiratory infection? Did they find worms in the stool? They don't want to just throw meds at him for no reason, but if they have good reasons for the medications then go ahead. But don't let them give him a vitamin injection.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Perhaps the vet has more info than you shared, but i wouldn't give my tortoise either of those things to get him to eat alone. You need to know why he isn't eating. As leigti said those meds should be given if an infection and or worms are present.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And to add to what's already been said, most leopard tortoises are allergic to Baytril, so don't allow them to give him a Baytril antibiotic.

I would try to get him eating by tweaking the habitat before I invest in an antibiotic that might not be needed. Go over the care sheet with an open mind and make adjustments to the way you're taking care of the tortoise. Double check the temperatures all over the floor of the habitat, etc. Nine times out of ten a tortoise doesn't eat because he isn't warm enough (or he wants real sunshine).

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
And to add to what's already been said, most leopard tortoises are allergic to Baytril, so don't allow them to give him a Baytril antibiotic.

I would try to get him eating by tweaking the habitat before I invest in an antibiotic that might not be needed. Go over the care sheet with an open mind and make adjustments to the way you're taking care of the tortoise. Double check the temperatures all over the floor of the habitat, etc. Nine times out of ten a tortoise doesn't eat because he isn't warm enough (or he wants real sunshine).
The antibiotic is baytril and they already gave him a dose at the vet. Should i continue the treatment? His temps are exactly where they should be thats why im confused.

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Antibiotics are for an infection, what do they think is invested? Do they think he has a respiratory infection? Did they find worms in the stool? They don't want to just throw meds at him for no reason, but if they have good reasons for the medications then go ahead. But don't let them give him a vitamin injection.
He is not pooping or eating so I am not sure the reasoning for giving the antibiotics.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida

Perhaps that snippet about baytril could be added to the care sheet for leos? I don't know that I would remember that...But I print those care sheets off...

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
The antibiotic is baytril and they already gave him a dose at the vet. Should i continue the treatment? His temps are exactly where they should be thats why im confused.
I think people are right, you need to know why he's not eating. Are the temperatures right? Have you tried bribing him with food he really likes even if it may not be the best for him? How is the UVB source? Is he hydrated enough, have you been doing soaks regularly? If the vet cannot tell you exactly why he's giving the medications, such as a true infection etc. then I would not give them. It is definitely not good to stop and antibiotic in the middle of treatment but in this case I would get more information from the vet before you continue it. Did they ever do a stool sample? Did they find worms? If so there is specific medication for it but that's not what antibiotics are for. You need more information from your vet. Does this vet deal with reptiles much? Maybe they just don't quite know what to do but are afraid to say it.

wolfkat

We could not give a stool sample because Simon is not pooping at all. They could only look at him physically that is why we have no answers as to what the problem is.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I am very concerned that your vet is not knowledgeable. I would find a vet that has actually treated tortoises before, not just birds and lizards, tortoises.
Tell us about your setup. Pictures are helpful. What substrate, UVB light, heat are you using? What are your 4 temps? Basking, warm side cool side and night. How are you reading the temps? What are you feeding? How often do you soak? How old is your tortoise, and where did you get him? How do his eyes look, nose runny? Is breathing labored or open mouth breathing?

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
I am very concerned that your vet is not knowledgeable. I would find a vet that has actually treated tortoises before, not just birds and lizards, tortoises.
Tell us about your setup. Pictures are helpful. What substrate, UVB light, heat are you using? What are your 4 temps? Basking, warm side cool side and night. How are you reading the temps? What are you feeding? How often do you soak? How old is your tortoise, and where did you get him? How do his eyes look, nose runny? Is breathing labored or open mouth breathing?

It is a 50 gallon bin, he is on organic soil and coconut coir with a little sphagnum moss. He has a hide bin just like in Neals care sheet filled with sphagnum moss but he never goes in. He has basking temp of 105, a warm side of 92-95, and a cool side of 87-88 degrees in daylight, 85 is the nightime low. I soak him 4 times a week and i weigh him once a week to see how he is progressing. He is being fed spring mix, kale, mustard greens, collard greens, wheat grass, aloe vera (occassionally), and mazuri supplemented with calcium every other day as well as constant acess to a (untouched) cuttle bone. He is about 2.5 to 3 months old and I got him from a breeder on kingsnake named Rick. He still seems very healthy but he used to eat so ravenously and it seems he is taking a break. I think he is blocked up, but I cant tell if he is pooping or not. His eyes and nose are clear and he is active. Everything but his diet seem fine.

wolfkat

Also just adding the vet we go to specializes in exotic species and the owners have torts of their own. I think the antibiotics were given as a precaution incase this was caused by an infection and just no one realized at the time that leopards can be allergic.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
He should be pooping during the soaks. If you think he is locked up you can feed him more watery foods, like cucumber. It doesn't have much nutrition but has lots of water. I think people are just concerned because it seems like the communication between you and the vet was not there. Some that still communicate as well as others. Just make sure you know why they are doing what they were doing and that you do have a say in it.

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
He should be pooping during the soaks. If you think he is locked up you can feed him more watery foods, like cucumber. It doesn't have much nutrition but has lots of water. I think people are just concerned because it seems like the communication between you and the vet was not there. Some that still communicate as well as others. Just make sure you know why they are doing what they were doing and that you do have a say in it.
I think that the antibiotics were used because if his lack of eating being that it is a sign of a respiratory infection. Should i be using a probiotic to get him eating again?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I think that the antibiotics were used because if his lack of eating being that it is a sign of a respiratory infection. Should i be using a probiotic to get him eating again?
I don't know. They only probiotic I have ever used is in the TNT powder from Carolina pet supply. Sprinkle that on the greens during the winter to supplement to the grocery store food.

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Great news everyone! Simon ate two small leaves of kale today (the only thing he would touch)! Im thinking this is a step in the right direction how about you?

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Simon ate again yesterday and it finally looks like he is getting some his appetite back. Do you guys think I should get the TNT probiotic after he is done with his meds to get him going again?