Tree identification

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Hello, I was wondering what type of tree this is.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433728873.492977.jpg and if anybody knows what those lighter green leaves are to the right that would be nice to know also. I thought they were bamboo but I'm probably wrong.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Need a closeup of the leaves. Looks like a white oak .

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hello, I was wondering what type of tree this is.View attachment 133244 and if anybody knows what those lighter green leaves are to the right that would be nice to know also. I thought they were bamboo but I'm probably wrong.
It's a moderately sized green one.
But seriously, a leaf is necessary to make an ID.
But I don't think it's a white oak, Quercus alba, at least not a northern one.
The lighter leaves to the right of the frame are a Catalpa.
I believe it's a legume.
This is all predicated on if the picture was taken in a temperate zone, not a tropical one.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433733430.080227.jpg here's a close up of both leaves. Big and green is about all I can ever figure out about a plant.:) does anybody know if either of these are edible for a Russian tortoise?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oak leaves are toxic while green ,but dried ones will not harm your tortoises . I keep them raked up .

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Oak leaves are toxic while green ,but dried ones will not harm your tortoises . I keep them raked up .
Okay thanks. The leaves don't fall in the tortoise pan. The tree is in my neighbors yard but is encroaching on my fence. And it keeps sending out dozens of little baby trees. I'm constantly trying to get rid of them.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
To me the one in the main part of the pic is clearly an elm - Ulmus. The one on the right with the lighter leaves is probably a Catalpa.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Well heck. Elm probably isn't safe for tortoises either so I guess it doesn't matter. I'll look the other one up.