Help Identifying Tree Leaves

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I was picking Hibiscus leaves and noticed my neighbors branch hanging over my backyard wall. Anyone know what type of tree leaves are these and if they're tortoise friendly?

mlf8.jpg

a2a1.jpg

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Crape myrtle. Did you notice the tissue paper looking little flowers this summer per chance. They have a fairly long bloom season.They can be white, all shades of pink, lavender, red. Lovely. In moderation, according to thetortoisetable.org.uk, which surprised me. I did not know they were edible. Cool. Thanks. Have.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
We planted two crepe myrtles in the front yard this spring and I've never seen something that looks like those berries on them. That looks a lot more like our Catalina cherry trees, which are a kind of prunus tree native to the Mojave. We have four in the back yard in an area our DTs frequent and they have shown zero interest in them as far as eating. They do like to hang out under them, though.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
The crape myrtle have seed pods, although a bit smaller, which is why I wondered if sulcatadud3 had seen it bloom over the summer. You are right, it could indeed be Carolina cherry instead. If it is Carolina cherry, this what thetortoisetable says ... NO. Do not feed.

Common name : Laurel (English Laurel, Cherry Laurel)
Latin name : Prunus laurocerasus
Family name : Rosaceae (Rose family)

All laurels are toxic to some degree with most containing cyanogenic glycosides, hydrogen cyanide, or at the very least, essential oils from the leaves which have narcotic, antibacterial and fungicidal properties and have proved fatal to animals, livestock and birds.
Prunus lusitanica (Portugal Laurel); Prunus caroliniana (carolina cherry Laurel).

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Actually, I think it's Catalina cherry (Western US and Mexico native) not Carolina (SE US). I was never able to find Catalina cherry on the Tortoise Table, but I don't feed it because it's prunus.

One thing I've noticed about my torts is that they show no interest in plants which are bad for them anyway, I assume cause they've got plenty of favored foods around.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Good call thatrebecca, that makes more sense. sulcatadud3, if the flowers were white over the summer, and fruits mature to berries, I think it is like thatrebecca states. If the flowers looked more like tissue (crape) paper flowers in colors noted above and these become brown seed pods, its crape myrtle. Maybe your neighbor can tell us. Shall we take bets on what it is anyone? Kidding.

redbeef

5 Year Member
both prunus species have alternating leaves from the pictures available in image search...original poster's picture does not have alternating leaves...crape myrtle has opposite leaves. It's probably crape myrtle: mine has pods like that after flowering