Treated lawn??

Kara B

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I treated my lawn in the early spring with weed killer and bug be gone. It rained like crazy this spring and summer...How long till my lawn will be safe for my tort to be out and graze in? Will it ever be safe?

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I agree, at least 12 months. Even then, I'd be worried about that.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Read the label on what you used. Most stuff don't last very long. If it says 3 months, you be better waiting 5 to 6 months. Most likely it's good now.
Just wondering though. Why weed killer? That's tortoise food.

Kara B

Michigan
Read the label on what you used. Most stuff don't last very long. If it says 3 months, you be better waiting 5 to 6 months. Most likely it's good now.
Just wondering though. Why weed killer? That's tortoise food.
It was loooong before I ever even thought that I would get one. LOL

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, at least 12 months. Even then, I'd be worried about that.
Just wondering what stuff you are using that would even last 3 months, specially with lots of rain?
I can't even get weed killer to work period, let alone have it last any amount of time. I don't use any in my torts areas, only in the front yard area, which run off can't even get to the torts yards. I do understand that even though it doesn't seem to work good, its still dangerous. I think a year is a bit extreme for any area, but really extreme for areas that get lots of rain.

Kara B

Michigan
I really want to take her out and get her to graze...she is picky and only eats Kale. I've tried giving her ZooMed Grassland tortoise food pellets, softened of course. But she won't have it. I also have wheat grass growing in her enclosure that she will not graze on either..I want her to have the correct diet but she is so small that I want her to gain weight so I give her what she will eat. Minus the strawberries that she loves so much.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Just wondering what stuff you are using that would even last 3 months, specially with lots of rain?
I can't even get weed killer to work period, let alone have it last any amount of time. I don't use any in my torts areas, only in the front yard area, which run off can't even get to the torts yards. I do understand that even though it doesn't seem to work good, its still dangerous. I think a year is a bit extreme for any area, but really extreme for areas that get lots of rain.
That's a good point. Here in California, as you know, we don't get much rain at all! That does make a difference, you're right! I dint even let my wife wash the dog on the tortoise lawn, but that's just me.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I really want to take her out and get her to graze...she is picky and only eats Kale. I've tried giving her ZooMed Grassland tortoise food pellets, softened of course. But she won't have it. I also have wheat grass growing in her enclosure that she will not graze on either..I want her to have the correct diet but she is so small that I want her to gain weight so I give her what she will eat. Minus the strawberries that she loves so much.
Collect the stuff you want her to eat. Chop it up fine along with the stuff she likes. Using more of the stuff she likes. Spritz with water, it helps make it all stick together. This way she has to eat some of it all to get what she really wants. Each day put less and less of the stuff she likes and more of the new foods, until she is eating it all willingly. You have to be tuff with this and not give in if she puts up a strike about it. She will give in and eat if you don't give in first. Squeezing a little strawberry juice on the foods she's not fond up is a good trick too.