Travelling

SiobhanWebb

Location (City and/or State)
Brechin
Hey guys, how are torts with travelling? We are moving house in three weeks and it will be a 12 hour drive. We’ve taken her in the car a couple times recently to get her accustomed to the movement of the car, but is there anything else we need to consider? We have already thought about food and water but if there’s anything else we need to do please let me know! [emoji4]

xMario

Germany
Hey guys, how are torts with travelling? We are moving house in three weeks and it will be a 12 hour drive. We’ve taken her in the car a couple times recently to get her accustomed to the movement of the car, but is there anything else we need to consider? We have already thought about food and water but if there’s anything else we need to do please let me know! [emoji4]
Make sure she doesn't get too cold or too hot. since there's a lot of movement she's likely to get stressed and pee a lot make sure u give her a long soak after u got to ur destination.

If u have to drive with windows open or with ur ac on make sure she doesn't gets to much wind/cold in her face.

I would use a big plastic container with a lid put some good substrate in it so she doesn't slip with her feet than put some air holes in it.

I also think it would be good if ur container is dark inside so she thinks its night and time to sleep this will decrease stress

SiobhanWebb

Brechin
Make sure she doesn't get too cold or too hot. since there's a lot of movement she's likely to get stressed and pee a lot make sure u give her a long soak after u got to ur destination.

If u have to drive with windows open or with ur ac on make sure she doesn't gets to much wind/cold in her face.

I would use a big plastic container with a lid put some good substrate in it so she doesn't slip with her feet than put some air holes in it.

I also think it would be good if ur container is dark inside so she thinks its night and time to sleep this will decrease stress

Perfect! Thank you [emoji4] she’s going on small trips with us at the moment, and is currently curled up in my jumper (her favourite thing) but when we travel properly I’ll put her into a travel case

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is no need for smaller trips. She's not going to desensitize like a mammal, and with one ride for the move its not worth all the stress.

12 hours shouldn't be a big deal. A dark transporting vessel will help. Bring the enclosure as is, so that the tortoise isn't getting used to a whole new enclosure on top of everything else.