Help. Am i stressing out my tortoise?

Mumsmad123

Location (City and/or State)
Reading, Berkshire, England
I have had my Tiddles for about 3 months, it is eating fairly well but I am not sure if it is suffering from stress. I have a tortoise table setup at home but I go to either my son or my daughter at the weekend. I am recently widowed, 6 months ago, so that is why I visit my kids on the weekend. They know that where I go my dog and my tortoise go to. I have a total mobile setup for Tiddles kept in the boot of my car so it is ready to go and just needs setting up in whichever house I am at.
When Tiddles is in her mobile home she is always out and about all over the place. She eats well. When she is at home she has started having a feed then going back to bed and not spending so much time out and about. She responds to me well and always come to me when I am talking to her. Am I stressing her out by taking her with me on my visits. While travelling she rides on the front seat in a small soft pet carrier with bedding in it. Please help because I would hate to be causing her stress. Thanks

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Tortoises HATE change of environment ALMOST as much as they hate traveling by car.
So yes. He's stressed.
I'd put his lighting on a timer for the day or 2 you'll be gone and just let him stay home.
It'll be best for all involved.
Your dog is a mammal. I'm sure it loves to travel and visit with family.
Your tortoise would rather not.

Mumsmad123

Thanks guys. My lighting and heating are on a timer. I was just worried about leaving her for 2 days with only fresh food on friday. I normally feed first thing in the morning and give fresh at lunch time so she always has fresh food. Am I just being silly. I love this forum and the advice you give is priceless.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks guys. My lighting and heating are on a timer. I was just worried about leaving her for 2 days with only fresh food on friday. I normally feed first thing in the morning and give fresh at lunch time so she always has fresh food. Am I just being silly. I love this forum and the advice you give is priceless.
Don't stress yourself about it.
Make sure that your lighting is safely attached. And 2 or 3 days is nothing.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Before you leave give fresh water and a big pile of food in a couple places and away from the heat
They don't get handed fresh food twice a day in the wild. A day or 2 of day old food or no food if eaten all the first day is not going to hurt him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also, see if you can find some spineless opuntia pads. You can drop one of those in and it will last a single tortoise for days. It takes a long time for it to go bad, and most of the time it dries out over weeks or months before it can rot.

My preference would be to soak the tortoise for a good hour before you leave, remove the water dish while you are gone so it cannot be fouled, and then soak the tortoise and replace the water dish upon your return.

Sa Ga

MN

I understand completely! I was thinking I've damned myself to a life of no vacations now--I'm too afraid to leave her for more than a day. What if her water tipped over? What if a light burned out? What if a thermostat malfunctioned? What if she gets sick, hurt, or flipped in a way she can't turn over?

I'm totally overprotective, I know...but I also know I'd never get over coming home to that...

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I understand completely! I was thinking I've damned myself to a life of no vacations now--I'm too afraid to leave her for more than a day. What if her water tipped over? What if a light burned out? What if a thermostat malfunctioned? What if she gets sick, hurt, or flipped in a way she can't turn over?

I'm totally overprotective, I know...but I also know I'd never get over coming home to that...
I'm a worrier too. I've not had a holiday in almost 6 years - since I've had my tort. That's quite a change for me as I used to love throwing a bag in the car and taking off somewhere when I had the chance. When I was hospitalised for 2 nights last winter he was my biggest worry. A nephew popped in to check on him for me and everything was OK as he's not as active and eats less in the winter, but it's not something I'd do by choice.
Someone once told me that travelling with him would be less stressful if you left it until night time when they would be sleeping, but I don't know if that's true as surely the car vibrations alone would cause stress?

Sa Ga

MN
I'm a worrier too. I've not had a holiday in almost 6 years - since I've had my tort. That's quite a change for me as I used to love throwing a bag in the car and taking off somewhere when I had the chance. When I was hospitalised for 2 nights last winter he was my biggest worry. A nephew popped in to check on him for me and everything was OK as he's not as active and eats less in the winter, but it's not something I'd do by choice.
Someone once told me that travelling with him would be less stressful if you left it until night time when they would be sleeping, but I don't know if that's true as surely the car vibrations alone would cause stress?

I would think he'd get used to it if you continue to do it. Just make sure he's comfy (warm enough, padded enough in car as to minimize vibrations and being tossed around, etc.), and it's done as gently as possible. Does he have a fave treat? Maybe give him a bite bf u drive off with him and after you arrive.

I, myself, would just not be comfy leaving a pet completely unattended for more than a day.

Maybe a pet rock....

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Id chime in to also say that you are definitely creating more stress for you & your tortoise. If you are traveling every weekend (Friday - Sunday), your tortoise is barely settling in, then it’s off again traveling, moving, jiggling along to yet another location.

Since you have timers, and everything all hooked up safely i presume. Id suggest that you follow Tom‘s advice. A good soaking & feeding before you depart, same when you return. Remove the water dish while you are gone. Your tort will settle i to this “new” routine. Easier on you too.

Give it a dry run one three day period in the middle of the week when you are home. Pretend you are departing, go through the routine (soaking, feeding, no water dish, etc) and see how things go. It will be hands off n easy.

Good luck

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Maro2Bear is right. By making small adjustments slowly it lessens the overall shock. For us it like our job saying OBTW you will now be working in New York City three days a week! As for your nervousness that is your level of caring shining through! Don't forget to congratulate yourself every now and then!

JTH

5 Year Member
East Lansing, MI
Keep in mind that in the wild a tortoise will not eat every day, might go days without eating, and might only have seasonal access to liquid water. I agree with those who said to put ligghts and heat sources on timers and moisten subsrate... they can easily go several days without constant care.

Is3997

Lombard Illinois

Ok

Is3997

Lombard Illinois
Sorry I’m new to this but for about $50 I have a camera on WiFi at the enclosure can check it on my phone when ever I want . The brand Kasa is sold at Home Depot or Amazon no monthly fees. It a good peace of mind purchase. Also a trusted neighbor knows the door code and can correct real emergencies ??

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV

I totally get where you’re coming from however these little tanks don’t get to be 80+ years old by being cupcakes. They’re just so darn cute that we forget how tough they are!

Sa Ga

MN
I totally get where you’re coming from however these little tanks don’t get to be 80+ years old by being cupcakes. They’re just so darn cute that we forget how tough they are!

Right! But plenty of times they DO die in the wild, and in a tank, they aren't privy to the alleviating factors the wild may offer.

They are tough and may endure a lot. Hopefully one strives to minimize the need to, though, and choose the option posing the least challenge and risk.

Sa Ga

MN
Sorry I’m new to this but for about $50 I have a camera on WiFi at the enclosure can check it on my phone when ever I want . The brand Kasa is sold at Home Depot or Amazon no monthly fees. It a good peace of mind purchase. Also a trusted neighbor knows the door code and can correct real emergencies ??
Thank you!!!

Mumsmad123

Thanks guys, my grandson is at home to keep am eye on her for me. While I was away I went dandelion picking,my great grandsons thought it was really funny, but it is her favourite. I feel a lot better now and hope she gets back to her normal self because the last thing I want to do is anything to hurt my tortoise. Thanks you.