Traumatized?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
Yesterday as I was bringing my tortoise outdoors to his new enclosure outside he kicked my finger and I can close to dropping him. I didn't hit him or fumble him he just slipped a bit then I put him in the new enclosure and he really didn't like it and was running around flipped once trying to escape. But do you think he will get over it all he does is hide from me or anymovement sucks into ho shell worries me a bit.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
He'll be fine.

the enclosure is new and he's just being a tortoise and taking his time getting used to it.

Can I give you a carrying tip? Put him in a washing up bowl or similar every time you move him. You won't drop him so easily... He can't wee down your leg (and when he gets bigger there'll be a lot)... and he'll get used to it as a means of transport.

I have a washing up bowl that I use to move Joe out to the garden, back indoors, up to the bath or whatever and he really doesn't object to it and relaxes (OK he scrabbles 50% of the time, but not in a panicked way). If I carry him in my hands it seems to frighten him and he starts kicking.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
I'll give that a try. My guy jay never seemed to care he usually just hung there not scared. But I think he got scared of the outdoors cause that's when he kicked but I'll try that thank you.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Have you got enough cover in the outdoor enclosure? If there are plenty of plants and shrubs for him to walk under that will help him to feel safe too.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
JoesMum said:
Have you got enough cover in the outdoor enclosure? If there are plenty of plants and shrubs for him to walk under that will help him to feel safe too.

I Do now hosta clovers and soon grass and spider plant. He also has a hide.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
He will be fine...and he won't hold a grudge against your butterfingers...lol....I damn near played a game of toss and catch the CDT once and that was when I realized a basket works well for the longer distance moves....lol...as they are extremely strong buggers and one flick of their leg can toss their weight pretty quickly....I have to hold the basket agains my hip like a basket of laundry because they try to make a game of get out of the basket before she gets me where she is heading....lol

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
ascott said:
He will be fine...and he won't hold a grudge against your butterfingers...lol....I damn near played a game of toss and catch the CDT once and that was when I realized a basket works well for the longer distance moves....lol...as they are extremely strong buggers and one flick of their leg can toss their weight pretty quickly....I have to hold the basket agains my hip like a basket of laundry because they try to make a game of get out of the basket before she gets me where she is heading....lol

lol Lets hope not haha. They are strong arent they and lighting fast too..... Nah not that fast but fast haha. Oh by the way picked up some of that peat moss it works great thanks for the tip. Also got a hosta and clovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.