Transportation of a Large Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What do people use to transport a HUGE tortoise. Like up to 100 lbs?

I'm looking for a box or something that will support the weight, have wheels, and be able to lift into the back of my truck somehow.

Any ideas?

I need to transport my Littlefoot to a convention, and she is just to big to carry.

I thought of a furniture mover dolly, and just put a wooden box on top, but I'm sure there are better ideas.

Thanks for your input and advice in advance!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a contractor's wheelbarrow that I use to bring Dudley from his pasture to the pick up truck. Once in the truck, he just roams around the bed, not contained.

When I adopted out a bunch of full grown sulcatas several years ago to a guy over on the coast, they came to pick them up pulling a horse trailer.

Will Little Foot fit inside the largest dog crate? You would have to wheelbarrow her over to the crate, then put her inside, as you wouldn't be able to carry the crate. Or put her in the crate then put it on the wheel barrow.

And if she doesn't fit through the door of the crate, you can take it apart, put her inside, then put it back together.

Wish I could come and see that!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The Vari-kennel would be a better deal because it has solid sides and the tortoise won't be able to see out. But make sure its big enough.

M

Maggie Cummings

Well, Bob is only 80 pounds but this may give you an idea anyway. The cart tips down in the front and Bob climbs right in.It seems that he understands the idea because he cooperates and most times stays in the cart. Then we use car ramps to pull the cart up into my sons SUV and away we go!!! Hope this helps...BTW it's a garden cart...

9jm0wn.jpg

294mjcg.jpg

2n68zg4.jpg

These pictures are from 2008, so Bob is many pounds bigger and fills the cart more. But it still works for us...

I

Italianlnm

The garden carts tend to be cheaper than the crates.. and I think they are more useful. Easier to roll and things for the money.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
OMG, I can't stop laughing...!

Ready to Roll.:p

I was just going to ask Yvonne for a picture of Dudley in the wheelbarrow, but as usual Bob decided to upstage Dudley (who probably doesn't mind since at 20 pounds Bob's superior, he could probably outpush Bob in a contest!).

That is just so funny. As much as I love Bob's strawberry photo for the calendar, I've got to say, this one is a close second for pure "Bob-ness"!:D

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Me too! I was laughing out loud for a minute about that one. I don't know why exactly its so funny, but a large tortoise in a wheelbarrow-cart, and peeking over the side, is a very hilarious picture for me =] Thats a great idea though using the wheelbarrow, I would've never thought of that!

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
sammi said:
Me too! I was laughing out loud for a minute about that one. I don't know why exactly its so funny, but a large tortoise in a wheelbarrow-cart, and peeking over the side, is a very hilarious picture for me =] Thats a great idea though using the wheelbarrow, I would've never thought of that!

Love to him in a red wagon or a baby carriage.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
webskipper said:
sammi said:

Love to him in a red wagon or a baby carriage.

Oh the visions!! :D :D

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Why not build a crate using 2 X 4's and some plywood? It would cost under 50 bucks and should take no more than a couple hrs to build.

And Bob is my hero in the tortoise world. I giggle every time I see a photo of him. What a cool dude.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
harris said:
Why not build a crate using 2 X 4's and some plywood? It would cost under 50 bucks and should take no more than a couple hrs to build.

And Bob is my hero in the tortoise world. I giggle every time I see a photo of him. What a cool dude.

excellent idea, except i have no tools, hopefully you live in southern california and could assist in this?

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Sorry. Far, far away just outside of Cleveland, in Ohio.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
i was thinking about using one of those furniture dollys, but the wooden ones with 4 wheels, that are about 2 feet by 2 feet. and put a box on top of that to carry her. but it will still be a lot of work to lift her into and out of my truck.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Rubbermaid makes troughs that can hold a 150 lb tortoise. They cost about $75. You can put that on a dolly. They probably make bigger toughs also.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you have a farm supply store near you? Wonderful things can be found there!

Status
Not open for further replies.