Transportation enclosure

MakJ

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Hello all,

I currently live in an apartment and am getting my first tortoise next month. I would say about every 3ish months we have a fire drill or someone in the building accidentally sets off the fire alarm. I was curious what anyone would recommend transporting a young tortoise in that will keep adequate heat, especially in winter months, when we have to evacuate the building.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello all,

I currently live in an apartment and am getting my first tortoise next month. I would say about every 3ish months we have a fire drill or someone in the building accidentally sets off the fire alarm. I was curious what anyone would recommend transporting a young tortoise in that will keep adequate heat, especially in winter months, when we have to evacuate the building.
You'll want a dark, opaque, plastic tub. Warmth can come from hot water bottles, or those hand warmer packets. Once you get to some electricity, you can use a Kane mat for warmth, or a space heater in a closed bathroom, or set up and enclosure. Seems like if its just a drill for a short time, you could also heat up the car for the tortoise.

MakJ

Washington
What kind of tortoise?

Have you had a chance to read this? https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/#post-2036954

just because most people don't really allocate enough size for a grown tortoise and in an apartment its especially difficult
It is a Hermann’s tortoise and will be a hatchling when I receive it next month. I have a large enough enclosure set up already, I just need a temporary tub so that when we have fire drills I can evacuate with it. It would only be for maybe 15-20 min max, I am just worried about transporting it outside in the winter time.

MakJ

Washington
You'll want a dark, opaque, plastic tub. Warmth can come from hot water bottles, or those hand warmer packets. Once you get to some electricity, you can use a Kane mat for warmth, or a space heater in a closed bathroom, or set up and enclosure. Seems like if its just a drill for a short time, you could also heat up the car for the tortoise.
I didn’t even think about the car! Thanks, yes it should only be for 15-20 min maximum to evacuate unless there is a real emergency. I don’t want to have to leave my tortoise inside during the drills.

Reactions: Tom