Enclosure size for an adult Hermann's Tortoise

TGDOrestes

Location (City and/or State)
Athens, Greece
My hermann's tortoise is still a baby, but it is going to outgrow its enclosure in a few months and I am thinking of building his final enclosure soon. I have read some threads about enclosure sizes, but none of them were exact. What would you recommend?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My hermann's tortoise is still a baby, but it is going to outgrow its enclosure in a few months and I am thinking of building his final enclosure soon. I have read some threads about enclosure sizes, but none of them were exact. What would you recommend?
There is no scientifically studied magic number for this. Just a bunch of generalities and personal preferences. Your tortoise won't drop dead if you put it in a two foot square enclosure, but I think most people will agree that that is much too small. Your tortoise would make use of a 50x50 foot pen and be quite happy in there, but that isn't practical for most people.

I think a reasonable compromise that works well is 4x8 feet indoors, and at least 8x8 or 10x10 feet outside. Larger is better.

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
I think outdoor enclosures are best because they get natural sunlight and you can usually build a much larger one outside. What I have is a 6 by 3-foot indoor enclosure and a large outdoor enclosure in construction. She will spend most of her time in her like 30 by 20-foot enclosure once it is done. I still have to upgrade her indoor once she gets a little bigger so If you were going for permanent indoor than an 8 by 4 is or larger is good. Still think outdoor is much better, just make sure you have a place to bring them inside in the cold or for me because I live in Florida, hurricanes and storms.

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
Baby tortoises usually need to be kept inside or under supervision outside because of predators. Unless you live somewhere where predators are more scarce and the enclosure is very safe. I live in the country surrounded by woods which coyotes, chicken hawks, raccoons, wild hogs and so many more predators call home, so I have to make the enclosure ready for a zombie apocalypse. lol

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Try to make it as big as possible while you can. I wouldn't even think about the smallest size. I would just think about the biggest I could afford and that would keep the tortoise safe and happy.

TGDOrestes

Athens, Greece
Thank you everyone for your replies! I will try my best to make his indoor enclosure as big as possible (I don't have enough money to make both outdoor and indoor enclosures yet)