Trail Camera with Adjustable Detection Zone.

SanctuaryHills

Location (City and/or State)
Miami, FL
I'm interested in doing a bit of spying on my Aldabra tortoises so I'm in the market for a trail camera. I specifically want to see how often, if at all, my tortoises are visiting the pond I made for them.

I have never purchased a trail camera in me life so I'd really appreciate some feedback from someone more experienced.

Requirements for this camera:

-Ability to set a custom activity detection zone: The enclosure has many plants that would trigger an alarm when the wind blows. I'd like to set a custom detection zone that only covers the actual pond.

-Wi-Fi capable: So that I can be notified through an app when a visitor enters the detection zone (pond area).

-Waterproof: It will need to withstand heavy watering since it will be positioned right next to a sprinkler on top of handling the heavy Florida rains.

-Wireless: this is for an outdoor enclosure so a wired camera is not an option

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm interested in doing a bit of spying on my Aldabra tortoises so I'm in the market for a trail camera. I specifically want to see how often, if at all, my tortoises are visiting the pond I made for them.

I have never purchased a trail camera in me life so I'd really appreciate some feedback from someone more experienced.

Requirements for this camera:

-Ability to set a custom activity detection zone: The enclosure has many plants that would trigger an alarm when the wind blows. I'd like to set a custom detection zone that only covers the actual pond.

-Wi-Fi capable: So that I can be notified through an app when a visitor enters the detection zone (pond area).

-Waterproof: It will need to withstand heavy watering since it will be positioned right next to a sprinkler on top of handling the heavy Florida rains.

-Wireless: this is for an outdoor enclosure so a wired camera is not an option
I bought a Feit WiFi indoor outdoor camera for about $140 at Menards so I did get rebate money.. it has an app for your phone. You have to charge it inside but it has two different outside mounts. You would probably do better with it than me because I don't know how to take advantage of all of it's features. The really good thing I love about it is you don't have to subscribe to a service. You can watch it on your phone anywhere anytime with the app for free. With most of the trail cameras you do have to subscribe to a service to do what I'm thinking you want to do. Just keeping an eye on your Tortoise.🐢

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've got 3 cool little wireless camera/doorbells that I only use the camera.
They're sold on Amazon. Made by MUBVIEW (Yes, Mubview) but they go by other names. They're about $40 each. The rechargeable batteries last for months without a recharge and the video quality is quite good.
I'm very pleased with mine. And you can't beat the price

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I bought a Feit WiFi indoor outdoor camera for about $140 at Menards so I did get rebate money.. it has an app for your phone. You have to charge it inside but it has two different outside mounts. You would probably do better with it than me because I don't know how to take advantage of all of it's features. The really good thing I love about it is you don't have to subscribe to a service. You can watch it on your phone anywhere anytime with the app for free. With most of the trail cameras you do have to subscribe to a service to do what I'm thinking you want to do. Just keeping an eye on your Tortoise.🐢
Yes, the heck with a subscription!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I've got 3 cool little wireless camera/doorbells that I only use the camera.
They're sold on Amazon. Made by MUBVIEW (Yes, Mubview) but they go by other names. They're about $40 each. The rechargeable batteries last for months without a recharge and the video quality is quite good.
I'm very pleased with mine. And you can't beat the price
I'm gonna have to look at those.😊 I enjoy my Feit but backups would be fun 😊 I also really like my Mobi baby cam for indoors. I wish they made an outdoor WiFi camera.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm gonna have to look at those.😊 I enjoy my Feit but backups would be fun 😊 I also really like my Mobi baby cam for indoors. I wish they made an outdoor WiFi camera.
These are exclusively outdoor use. Though I've mounted them in areas that would stop them from getting full rain

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
These are exclusively outdoor use. Though I've mounted them in areas that would stop them from getting full rain
I don't let the Feit outdoor camera get rained on either even though it's an outdoor camera. If it's not outside it sits in my living room. The Mobi is a cheap indoor baby cam. It doesn't need a subscription either. But it's in my tort's indoor enclosure... gotta keep an eye on the little fella. They are an escape artist after all. The Feit outdoor camera bugs me though. It goes offline too easy.