Security and keeping tabs (need camera info)

kaz311

5 Year Member
Hi guys I want to use a camera for my russian tortoise enclosure. It has to be a wireless camera which enables my smart phone to use with an app. The reason why is I work on ambulance and even though I have time for tortoises and play with them I still care to check on them from time to time from my phone.
Im currently using a imogenstudio camera its wireless and is set with my galaxy s4 but I really want something extra like to pan the direction of the view to view corners or shift to the left of enclosure to right side of enclosure to see where both my tortoises are.

om open to suggestions of wireless camera able to link with smartphones for indoor enclosures and able to move the viewing.

Thank you
Kevin

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
I'd suggest the brand Foscam. It works wirelessly and you can watch online from a computer and also with the app in your phone. You can pan/tilt remotely and some have two-way speakers so you can talk to them ;-)

kaz311

5 Year Member
Thanks alot I will look into those :) you saved me alot of research

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Most of your higher end security systems will allow viewing via a mobile device. The system I run is an 8 camera system that “watches” the Cove’ 24/7-365. This system also records everything with playback at any time, along with set ups for mobile viewing and even “mobile alert” if the system is tripped. The one thing I might add is always purchase a system that will allow you to add more cameras . Even if you only need two at the current time , down the line you will find yourself wanting to add more. They do make various packaged systems that come with different numbers of cameras, so pay attention to the hard drive size and available upgrades ( like adding more cameras) ….
I think the Manf. I have is Zmodo
J~

The really neat thing is with today’s technology the cameras are also infrared which allows for excellent night vision. I do recommend “hard wiring” the system itself , so it may not be jammed but outside sources and hacked.

"by" outside sources and hacked......

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I have a dlink 933. Set up was a breeze and it has a mobile app. Just don't watch too much unless you have WiFi. It eats up data.... Though I imagine any camera would.

It's a nice camera, has a very sensitive microphone (when my tort is out of view I can still hear him rustling around), and decent night vision. It doesn't record, but you can take pictures when you are watching.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
I sell and now own a Belkin HD Netcam, I work for Verizon Wireless, you can see it on the website. It can pan, has sound, night vision, and will send you a snap shot if the camera is triggered. Im setting mine up for my tort as well, lol. If you see it and like it, let me know I have some budget left this month for discounting.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Thank you JD, our Son just bought and installed the same system you have (Zmodo 8 camera with DVR) for home security. He returned home from visiting us to find someone stole his camper shell from his yard. A few months ago he lost his dog, due to suspected poisoning. So, needless to say he wanted more security to find out who is messing with him and his property. He just got the Zmodo system hooked up a few days ago (all 8 cameras) and so far he loves it. I was thinking it would be great for Tortoise watching here at our house, now with you using it at the Cove, I'm putting it on my wish list.

Maverick

5 Year Member
If you have an old Android phone (or pick one up on craigslist) you can use an app called IP webcam (free) to broadcast audio and video for free and access it from any phone or browser. It's easy to setup and I can check my tortoise from any where, plus take snap shots using my wife's old lg ally. The good thing is must phones have a good camera so video quality depending on bandwidth is awesome.