"RING" DOORBELL CAMERA alternative

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
About a year ago, I decided that I wanted to install a video camera/doorbell in my front porch area. And I wanted it to be wireless. Because I didn't want to run wiring.
I looked at RING cameras on AMAZON. Most of them needed to be hardwired. And the wireless were expensive. (I thought)
I then found this. MUBVIEW. Yep. It's spelled correctly. Highly rated. And at the time, under $50. Doorbell/camera, charger, remote doorbell chime, mounting bracket with all hardware and decent enough instructions.
It was easy to set up with Bluetooth.
Long story short, it's great. Wireless. Can operate almost 2 months on a single charge. It holds a card. Plus cloud storage. The camera is clear. The videos have sound. It has night vision. And I'm very happy with it.
I've just installed a 2nd one I'm using only as a motion activation camera in my back yard overlooking my animals.
Neither of these are mounted where they can get rained on. I'm not sure how waterproof they are or aren't.
These are an inexpensive, simple and surprisingly good quality options for keeping an eye on your torts. The sensitivity is adjustable. Or for use as an actual doorbell camera.
I reccomend this thing.
So. While this isn't necessarily a tortoise product. It CAN be.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230725_194045_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230725_194045_Samsung Internet.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I use blink from Amazon and very happy with price/how long batteries last/app. I have the doorbell and 9 outdoor cameras plus the ones and my mother in laws house all on the same App just need to change through tabs. Highly recommend you wait for prime days or black Friday to buy on discount

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
About a year ago, I decided that I wanted to install a video camera/doorbell in my front porch area. And I wanted it to be wireless. Because I didn't want to run wiring.
I looked at RING cameras on AMAZON. Most of them needed to be hardwired. And the wireless were expensive. (I thought)
I then found this. MUBVIEW. Yep. It's spelled correctly. Highly rated. And at the time, under $50. Doorbell/camera, charger, remote doorbell chime, mounting bracket with all hardware and decent enough instructions.
It was easy to set up with Bluetooth.
Long story short, it's great. Wireless. Can operate almost 2 months on a single charge. It holds a card. Plus cloud storage. The camera is clear. The videos have sound. It has night vision. And I'm very happy with it.
I've just installed a 2nd one I'm using only as a motion activation camera in my back yard overlooking my animals.
Neither of these are mounted where they can get rained on. I'm not sure how waterproof they are or aren't.
These are an inexpensive, simple and surprisingly good quality options for keeping an eye on your torts. The sensitivity is adjustable. Or for use as an actual doorbell camera.
I reccomend this thing.
So. While this isn't necessarily a tortoise product. It CAN be.
I really want a camera in my back yard on my tortoise. That could be the fix. WiFi because of the way this house is built doesn't work really well in the back yard. Blue tooth might.😊🐢

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I really want a camera in my back yard on my tortoise. That could be the fix. WiFi because of the way this house is built doesn't work really well in the back yard. Blue tooth might.😊🐢
I'm not only cheap. I'm also low tech

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm not only cheap. I'm also low tech
So am I. My little Feit WiFi camera was about $100 and though it works in my back yard it's not a strong signal. I'm just learning too. That one seems to be just as good as the Feit but on a different type of signal that may work better.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
So am I. My little Feit WiFi camera was about $100 and though it works in my back yard it's not a strong signal. I'm just learning too. That one seems to be just as good as the Feit but on a different type of signal that may work better.
It's not HD or anything. But this is my front yard at 2am.
Very decent.
And it DOES have a zoom feature

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230726_015359_ZUMIMALL.jpg
    Screenshot_20230726_015359_ZUMIMALL.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It's not HD or anything. But this is my front yard at 2am.
Very decent.
And it DOES have a zoom feature
That's a really good picture for being through the night. The thing I don't like about the Campark trail camera is the app doesn't have zoom. That's imperative with someone with my old eyes. I'm viewing it on a small smartphone.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
That's a really good picture for being through the night. The thing I don't like about the Campark trail camera is the app doesn't have zoom. That's imperative with someone with my old eyes. I'm viewing it on a small smartphone.
Yep. My eyes are shot, too.
They often keep me off of the forum

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I have a Kami doorbell camera that came as part of a package from my home security company. It's wireless which is great for easy setup, but I find it and other wireless cams cams to fall short in one key area: There can be a significant delay between the time the doorbell is pushed or when the motion detector is tripped. This can be valuable seconds (10+ seconds in some cases) where video clips may be crucial, yet missed. And heaven forbid your battery gets low! I plan to take the time soon to hardwire mine both to the electric as well as my router. Just my 2 cents worth of useless rant.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Even though the only place I go on social media is here, I have to have my cameras.🤗 I don't and will never hook them up to some cloud 🌨️ I use an SD card in my phone and one in my cameras too. If by some chance my pictures get saved to my Google account it's nice.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have a Kami doorbell camera that came as part of a package from my home security company. It's wireless which is great for easy setup, but I find it and other wireless cams cams to fall short in one key area: There can be a significant delay between the time the doorbell is pushed or when the motion detector is tripped. This can be valuable seconds (10+ seconds in some cases) where video clips may be crucial, yet missed. And heaven forbid your battery gets low! I plan to take the time soon to hardwire mine both to the electric as well as my router. Just my 2 cents worth of useless rant.
Yes
There is a doorbell delay for sure.
In fact, the last time someone rung the bell. They were gone before I could yell at them to p!so off.

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
I really like my EUFY doorbell dual camera. I bought it on sale with the Homebase control station as a package. It wasn't cheap ($200 on sale), but the Homebase controls all of the camera functions (and can control up to 64 devices) so it does not need any monthly or annual subscription service. Not paying for a subscription very quickly pays for the cost of the camera and the Homebase.

The AI of the camera is extremely good. It never alerts on anything except an actual person near the door. No cars driving by, no people walking down the street, no dogs, no lighting changes, etc. That was my biggest gripe about the Blink cameras that I used to have. They would send alerts all night long if a car was driving anywhere within a few hundred yards of our house and the headlights made a slight change in the lighting of the front yard...

It also has a neat feature with the second/bottom camera on the doorbell that can be configured to actively give unique alerts if a package is delivered on the porch, as well as a second alert when the package is picked up. This is a great way to monitor for porch pirates. :)

It has intelligent face recognition as well. You can set it up to recognize faces of family members and never alert on them to avoid annoying alerts when people living in the house are coming and going, or to recognize commonly known visitors and get alerts with their name, or even set up custom responses based on faces, ranging from an auto recorded message that plays when the doorbell button is pushed or (for unwanted visitors) to not ring or send alerts at all for specific faces even if the button is pushed.

The doorbell can be used wired, or wireless. I set mine up wireless and it goes about 60-90 days between charges even with everything set to maximum security (high power usage).

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
That's cool Z, I had thought about that for Matilda when I was worried about rats. That's a good setup for the price.

I have a regular wireless doorbell w/ two bells....not wifi, not BT.

No point in camera's. Well, there's no sense in mounting camera's on a house that's never locked, is it? You guys worry too much, or live in bad places.....LOL

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
That's cool Z, I had thought about that for Matilda when I was worried about rats. That's a good setup for the price.

I have a regular wireless doorbell w/ two bells....not wifi, not BT.

No point in camera's. Well, there's no sense in mounting camera's on a house that's never locked, is it? You guys worry too much, or live in bad places.....LOL
It's all videos of the same 3 or 4 cats.
But there was one of an opossum.
That's enough to excite me these days

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It's all videos of the same 3 or 4 cats.
But there was one of an opossum.
That's enough to excite me these days
When I accidentally caught an opossum in my front yard at 4am, I was ecstatic 😊 Then I watched a ground hog eat an apple on my front yard sidewalk. That was in broad daylight at 8am. And I wish I could find out what varment is knocking down my bird feeders through the night. I'm pretty sure it's not the squirrel because he can just hang upside down and get what he likes.😊 I probably have a raccoon visiting.through the night and I'd like to watch the little bandit. That's why I can't resist those kind of cameras. I just don't have one set up for ground level and I missed out on recording it 🥴

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
For my mother in law I installed Blink Cameras and Doorbells and wow the wildlife she gets in her backyard. Deer, turkeys, foxes the whole gambit since she lives next to the old Ohio Edison complex that has a huge wildlife preserve on the grounds.