Toys for Torts

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I put some little cat toys in my leopard enclosures and they do love them. I notice the ball is pushed around a lot and the little roller cage is moved around too. This morning one of the torts had its foot on top of it like she was rolling it around. Does anyone else use cat toys in their tort enclosures?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I think toys are more for domestic animals.. cats, dogs... but I have heard people say their torts play with balls etc.. I don't know if its play or curious, thinking its a food source, or invader! if they seem to interact.. fine.

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
I love the idea of enrichment for reptiles! :)

I don't see why it would be an issue to add toys to your tort's enclosure. At best, it provides them with a source of entertainment, where they can do something besides walk in circles within their enclosure. At worst, it stimulates them by being something different than just another piece of cage furniture they see day after day after day.

I used to feed my monitor lizards by putting their food in cat toys or in toilet paper tubes and letting them "hunt" it. Many lizards seem to be able to understand this sort of foraging activity, and even a lot of snakes; tortoises may not be quite so interactive with their environment, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't benefit from things added to their enclosure to help stimulate them.

-Jen

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
It would be interesting to try. Is this something you have done with just only one tortoise in a set up or with pairs, trios or groups?

I only ask as it might be a different reaction in each setting

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I put them in there quite awhile ago and they didn't seem to notice.. But lately, they have been inside a lot, they have been bumping and moving things around a lot...bored I guess. So now I notice they are moving their toys around too. There is one enclosure with one tort and one in another enclosure with three torts.. The toys are always in a different location when I look in, and so I move it back to the original spot, and they move it again..I like to think that it is a challenge to them.

LLLReptile said:
I love the idea of enrichment for reptiles! :)

I don't see why it would be an issue to add toys to your tort's enclosure. At best, it provides them with a source of entertainment, where they can do something besides walk in circles within their enclosure. At worst, it stimulates them by being something different than just another piece of cage furniture they see day after day after day.

I used to feed my monitor lizards by putting their food in cat toys or in toilet paper tubes and letting them "hunt" it. Many lizards seem to be able to understand this sort of foraging activity, and even a lot of snakes; tortoises may not be quite so interactive with their environment, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't benefit from things added to their enclosure to help stimulate them.

-Jen

Jen, my almost two year old leopard even moves large pieces of slate into his hide. He also has a thing about a bowl that has a sponge in it full of water. Somehow he moves the entire bowl of water and sponge into his other water dish, without turning it over. He works so hard to change things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.