Toys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hey everyone,

I was thinking my two cherryheads could use some additional stimuli, lest they become bored! 1-2 times/week I sneak fruit treats around the enclosure, they seem to like the scavenger hunts, but does anyone ever place any toys in their enclosures? If so, enlighten me, I'm all ears here.

They're hatchlings, so they do hide, but they're getting more comfortable and exploring a bit more in the afternoons.

I was thinking about an orange ping-pong ball. It's bright, colorful, and I don't think they could successfully bite/eat it due to the shape and rigidity.

Let's hear it!

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
I put in a couple of red ping pong balls and I've seen him push it around a lot. Also when he is outside he pushes around a tennis ball laying on the ground.

tortuga_mel

5 Year Member
Indiana
Redstrike said:
Hey everyone,

I was thinking my two cherryheads could use some additional stimuli, lest they become bored! 1-2 times/week I sneak fruit treats around the enclosure, they seem to like the scavenger hunts, but does anyone ever place any toys in their enclosures? If so, enlighten me, I'm all ears here.

They're hatchlings, so they do hide, but they're getting more comfortable and exploring a bit more in the afternoons.

I was thinking about an orange ping-pong ball. It's bright, colorful, and I don't think they could successfully bite/eat it due to the shape and rigidity.

Let's hear it!

Michelangelo has a small tennis ball that he rolls around but I don't put it in his enclosure

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Give it a try. Some torts seem to enjoy interacting with things like ping pong balls, golf balls, practice golf balls, whiffle balls, etc.

Offering things you can try include things like whole fruits in the rind, plant stalks, gathering several greens in a bundle and hanging them from a hook or clip, jamming strawberries or mushrooms into odd places, giving them a hill to climb or an old towel to dig into, or a live potted edible plant (that you take out after about an hour)...

Don't overdo it- there needs to be a foundation of familiarity and routine for a sense of security- but enrichments are wonderful things!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
My Sulcata has a soccer ball in his enclosure. He occasionally moves it around. I also put food in different places around their indoor enclosures to encourage them to move around more.

Status
Not open for further replies.