Total new mommy question

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenTy7203

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kansas City, Mo
So, Bowser, our aprox. 5-6 month old EBT arrived yesterday morning. Yesterday we gave him a soak to be sure he was hydrated after his journey.
Didn't figure he would eat, but figured we would offer his favorite per the breeder (worms), he seemed interested, watched them move, but after 15 min. Or so did not eat. I knew he was prob. Freaked out from the trip. So we got him in his enclosure, backed off from him & he looked around for awhile... Finally slowly taking steps. I left the room and went back about 10 min later to check on him. I could see that he had made a place to burrow, which I know is natural.

Today, we started to get him out and he was alert in his little hiding place in the substrate, all perked up.
Gave him a soak,offerd more worm... Again, interest, no eating.... How long should we let him be offered the food before returning him to his enclosure?
Does all this sound normal? How long before I freak out about him not eating?

Also, he is moving around and checking things out. Just worried about him not eating. We had a slider baby several years ago... He never ate, we tried everything... He did not live long, Although that one was not very active after the first day. Really do not want that to happen again.

So appreciate anyone's help and input here.
Thanks in advance!

JenTy7203

5 Year Member
Kansas City, Mo
So, Bowser, our aprox. 5-6 month old EBT arrived yesterday morning. Yesterday we gave him a soak to be sure he was hydrated after his journey.
Didn't figure he would eat, but figured we would offer his favorite per the breeder (worms), he seemed interested, watched them move, but after 15 min. Or so did not eat. I knew he was prob. Freaked out from the trip. So we got him in his enclosure, backed off from him & he looked around for awhile... Finally slowly taking steps. I left the room and went back about 10 min later to check on him. I could see that he had made a place to burrow, which I know is natural.

Today, we started to get him out and he was alert in his little hiding place in the substrate, all perked up.
Gave him a soak,offerd more worm... Again, interest, no eating.... How long should we let him be offered the food before returning him to his enclosure?

Also, he is moving around and checking things out. Just worried about him not eating. We had a slider baby several years ago... He never ate, we tried everything... He did not live long, Although that one was not very active after the first day. Really do not want that to happen again.

Thanks in advance!

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
RE: Total new mommy wasting question

I think he is probably just
getting use to things like you said.
Just keep offering and he will eventually
eat. I know you are worried but I really
think he is still spooked a little.
Keep us updated!! :)

You could do what Tom suggested in
your other thread. Keep food in his
enclosure all the time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Why not offer food in his enclosure so he can eat it when he feels comfortable?

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
Just curious why you take him out to eat? Could you not offer him food inside his enclosure where he might feel more secure to eat or try something besides worms?

JenTy7203

5 Year Member
Kansas City, Mo
RE: Total new mommy wasting question

luvpetz27 said:
I think he is probably just
getting use to things like you said.
Just keep offering and he will eventually
eat. I know you are worried but I really
think he is still spooked a little.
Keep us updated!! :)

You could do what Tom suggested in
your other thread. Keep food in his
enclosure all the time.

Thanks Amy,
We were doing it this way because that is how the breeder was feeding him this way & thought that he may do better with it, since that is what he is used to? Idk...
Worried. :(

Also, he said this way you can be sure they are eating.

JenTy7203

5 Year Member
Kansas City, Mo
Tom said:
Why not offer food in his enclosure so he can eat it when he feels comfortable?

We were doing it this way because that is how the breeder was feeding him this way & thought that he may do better with it, since that is what he is used to?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Try feeding him in his enclosure for a few days. He is in a new environment, so that might work better.
Keep soaking him daily for a few more days, fresh water daily in the enclosure.
Try offering food a few minutes after he settles in after the soak.
How about adding a strawberry or something bright/red next to the worms?

JenTy7203

5 Year Member
Kansas City, Mo
lynnedit said:
Try feeding him in his enclosure for a few days. He is in a new environment, so that might work better.
Keep soaking him daily for a few more days, fresh water daily in the enclosure.
Try offering food a few minutes after he settles in after the soak.
How about adding a strawberry or something bright/red next to the worms?

Thank you...i will try that. I guess if the worms crawl off, he will eventually find them.

Would really just like to see him eat something :)

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
when i had box turtles i kept them in an outdoor enclosure and when i would feed them worms i would just dump the worms out under a plant and that way the worms that did not get eaten right away could dig under rocks, plants... and the turtles could find them later. i'm sure you don't want to dump the entire container out but maybe place a few worms strategically around the enclosure so Bowser could hunt for them. may be worth a try, also try some type of fruit or veggie, mine loved tomatoes & cantalope but especially corn on the cob! good luck!

JenTy7203

5 Year Member
Kansas City, Mo
We put him in his enclosure after my post and I put him half in the water... He crawled all the way and sat in there pretty perky. Guess he likes it there....Here is a pic.

samsmom said:
when i had box turtles i kept them in an outdoor enclosure and when i would feed them worms i would just dump the worms out under a plant and that way the worms that did not get eaten right away could dig under rocks, plants... and the turtles could find them later. i'm sure you don't want to dump the entire container out but maybe place a few worms strategically around the enclosure so Bowser could hunt for them. may be worth a try, also try some type of fruit or veggie, mine loved tomatoes & cantalope but especially corn on the cob! good luck!

Thanks! Appreciate that!
Will give it a try!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 50

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
JenTy7203 said:
We were doing it this way because that is how the breeder was feeding him this way & thought that he may do better with it, since that is what he is used to?

I also feed my baby 3 toed in a separate container. I like that I can know for sure if and how many bugs she's eating. There's always food in the enclosure (spring mix, greens, veggies, fruit and Mazuri) but I have never seen her come out of her burrow to eat it.

Make sure your baby is warm enough. Last week, my baby refused to eat for the first time and I was wondering why. Turns out I had left her in her soak for too long (oopsy) so the water and the turtle were cold. I put her back in her enclosure and she headed for her favorite spot but then she turned around and went to sit under the MVB for a good 15 minutes. Offered the bugs again and what do you know, she ate them all!

You could try putting these bloodworms in her soak too, they seem to love those.

A little tip with the bloodworms: I put the worm ice cube in the container first and I pour the water on it. That way, the water stays warm longer.

Attachments

• image-26763118.png
    image-26763118.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 20

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I agree with the others. Feed him/her in his enclosure. He looks happy and healthy and the enclosure looks good too. So if you feed him on something shallow (some type of lid) I bet he will eat. But leave the room so he feels comfortable. Also, I used to feed small worms to my boxies in their water dish as well when they were babies.

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
JenTy7203 said:

Thanks in advance!

hey... just found this thread.. I too am in Kansas City.. SO here's a little trick that I LOVE for baby boxies and since we're both in this area I know you should have luck finding them (found some myself on Thursday when it was warm. Flip some rocks or flower pots if you have some outside.. I've never had a baby turtle that can resist a rolly-poly and you'll find enough for a day or two if you look in some good spots. Also if you get a tub of "red wigglers" at petco or petsmart you can dig a recess in your enclosure substrate and set the tub in... take it out a few hours later and put the lid back on. Your baby will either see or smell the worms dig them out, and you won't have escapeees (or at least less) have had turtles for the last 20 years. If you have questions ask away..

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I wouldn't worry they can go weeks without eating. Sometimes it takes them awhile to adjust to you and new surroundings. Just keep offering eventually he will eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.