Tory- pool question.

mary t

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lakeland, florida
hey guys!! my sulcata ( Willie) is about 50 pounds. he has out grown his bird bath well a while back - anyway. I'm not able to give him a mud hole so I'd like to form him a concrete pool. my question is how big should I go: depth and circumstance??? any input would be wonderful. thanks in advance

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I am getting ready to do this as well. My guy, also about 50 pounds, currently has a kiddie pool that is about 4 feet across and 8 inches or so deep. I am going to go a bit bigger.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I am getting ready to do this as well. My guy, also about 50 pounds, currently has a kiddie pool that is about 4 feet across and 8 inches or so deep. I am going to go a bit bigger.
That sounds very small for such a large tortoise. That's only 12.5 square feet! Even a Russian needs a minimum of 32 square feet.

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida

how does your guy get in and out of the kiddie pool. I'm still freaked out Willie will flip over. lol!! the only thing that worries me with a concrete pool is cleaning it out. ideas???

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I cut is to make it shallow enough he can walk in and out. I have a concrete pool for my leopards. I use a broom to sweep it out and just spray it out. I add water daily to keep it fresh, and clean it only every other week or so.1466044476070-1924244978.jpg 1466044659719-1983039135.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When I did a concert one a few years back for my leopard, I buried a pvc pipe that a sink drain with a pop up stop in it would fit tightly into. Then I poured the cement to come just to the edge of the drain. I would just pop up or push down on the drain stopper. The only thing I forgot to do was to drop an air tube into the pvc pipe so the water would drain faster.

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
wow. great ideas. I'm going to copy a little from each of you. maybe a French drain under the drain. my dad is helping me and I'm sure he will engineer something. he loves his grand-tort as he calls him. I'll keep you guys up dated!!! thanks again.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I'm looking forward to seeing what you build. I've been meaning to build a pool for Charlie this year too but I haven't figured out exactly how I want to do it.