Torts righting themselves practice

Ben02

Location (City and/or State)
Brighton, Southcoast, UK
I had a thought today while reading another members post that would it be beneficial to help torts practice to right themselves when they flip.

The whole thing must be supervised of course but a little practice may help them get used to flipping over and righting themselves, therefore making it less dangerous.

Let me know what you think

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
So, whats your plan? Place your tort on it’s back and wait ‘til it turns right side? But how long do you wait?

I see where you are coming from, maybe a short time on their back will strengthen muscles involved to flip right side?

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
So, whats your plan? Place your tort on it’s back and wait ‘til it turns right side? But how long do you wait?

I see where you are coming from, maybe a short time on their back will strengthen muscles involved to flip right side?
So I have youngsters in mind really, they are known for flipping over. It might as you said strengthen their leg muscles. Whether they will remember how to right themselves after practice I am uncertain of.

xMario

Germany
I Think all tortoises are able to flip themselves up by instinct.
But are only able to if the ground gives them some grip to hold on
On loose substrate like in many enclosure it's no wonder they cant flip themselves over

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
I Think all tortoises are able to flip themselves up by instinct.
But are only able to if the ground gives them some grip to hold on
On loose substrate like in many enclosure it's no wonder they cant flip themselves over
They do use their necks do right themselves sometimes. One of my youngsters in particular had some trouble righting itself on the grass a while ago, luckily I was there. I’m sure now she could do it as her legs are very strong.

sjones28

Rochester NY
I would be very, very careful. If a tortoise is inverted too quickly it’s internal organs can get twisted and cause injury. Also while upside down the guts can sit on the lungs and cause severe breathing problems. Im no expert but I’m not sure tortoises have a function to “learn” to flip itself better I think it is more of an instinctive action.

HoosierTort

Indianapolis
I’ve seen all three of my hatchlings flip over in their enclosure and flip themselves right back over.
I think we are slow to remember they are instinctively set to survive getting flipped over. Give them a chance to explorer and I’m sure they will.
I provide as natural a setting a possible for them and that includes things that they can climb and yes, fall and tip over.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Ahhhhh. I just could not bring myself to do it. I don't really think it's nice.:(