1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Shipping advice

Discussion in 'General Tortoise Discussion' started by Chasen, Mar 31, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Chasen

Chasen Well-Known Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Galveston
    I'm going to be shipping my little one and was told Ship Your Reptiles is the way to go. In looking at their kits, I'm not sure which one to get. The one I thought would work has a 38oz deli cup. Is that big enough? I remember reading something about putting torts in a container they can right themselves if they get flipped upside down? I know to watch weather conditions in selecting a ship date including the hub location, but any words of wisdom on this whole process would be much appreciated. Thank you all
  2. Grandpa Turtle 144

Grandpa Turtle 144 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    IMG_3209.jpg
    Hand warmer will help to keep the temps more steady.[emoji217]
    Ray--Opo likes this.
  3. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Southern California
    Look at temps on both ends and decide if a heat pack will be necessary. If its mostly above 50, I wouldn't. If you need a heat pack, use one of the 60 hours ones. They distribute heat more evenly and obviously last longer in case there is a problem. I learned this From Tyler at tortoisesupply.com. He ships lots of torts all over the country every day.

Get a styro-lined box of the correct size for your tortoise. I make a nest of grass hay inside the box and I put the baby in a black sock with some grass hay inside the sock. A reptile shipping bag could be used too. I tie the end of the sock securely and usually zip tie it, then I place the sock in the middle of the nest, add more grass hay on top and put the lid on. Then I tape it up.

I get my shipping labels from reptiles2you.com. I prefer them to the other. They will also have the necessary label that you must put on the box describing species and quantity. I always have to tell the people to handle the box gently and keep it upright.

I call ahead and find out the latest drop off time and plan my drop off about 15 minutes ahead of that time, which is 3:45pm for a 4:00pm last call time here. If the FedEx hub is near you, you can eliminate steps and drop off even later in some cases. The less time the tortoise is in their hands and being moved around the better. You can also have the baby held at the FedEx hub on the other end for pick up, which again prevents more hands and more vehicle transfers from jostling the baby. Hub to hub will be the shortest time out of your hands and have the fewest transfers. You'll have to call to find the nearest hub to you, and your recipient.
    Ray--Opo likes this.
  4. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
    I think for the size of your baby, the smallest box they offer is good. You don't need to use the deli cup if it's too small. I have shipped babies in something like this:
    plastic container.jpg
    with holes punched in the lid. I put in a crumpled, slightly damp paper towel, then the tortoise then another, dry, crumpled paper towel over the tortoise. Using the smallest box you can buy at shipyourreptiles, this would fit in there nicely with the packing supplies that come with the box. You can buy these at the grocery store in the same aisle that sells plastic wrap and storage containers.
    Ray--Opo likes this.
  5. Chasen

Chasen Well-Known Member

Galveston
    Thank you
    Ray--Opo and Grandpa Turtle 144 like this.
  6. Chasen

Chasen Well-Known Member

Galveston
    I agree with you on the hub to hub, least amount of time in transfer/bondage. And I'll be sure the temps are good here and in Ca. So, you're putting the tort, packed with hay into a sock or rep bag then nestled in a packing of more hay inside the box? He then won't be able to move around, right? It's hard to decide which method is better. In a deli cup with the ability to turn himself over if the box is left upside down, or padded in which prevents him from getting jostled around.
    Ray--Opo likes this.
  7. Chasen

Chasen Well-Known Member

Galveston
    Does it say on the container what size it is? I assume it's a size that allows for him to right himself?
    Ray--Opo likes this.
  8. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
    That's why I crumple up the paper towel. Once the towel is in there he can't turn over.
    Ray--Opo and Chasen like this.
  9. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Southern California
    They can move around in there. And the sock and hay also give them traction to right themselves if flipped.
    Ray--Opo and Chasen like this.
  10. Markw84

Markw84 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member Today is my birthday! Platinum Tortoise Club

Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
    Just an additional note - DO not ship on Thursday. If something happens, like thunderstorms in Memphis, it can delay a shipment and the tortoise may sit for the weekend. I only ship Mon-Wed. I speak from experience! It only happened once, and all turned out well, but I do not like that type of stress!!
    Ray--Opo, Tom, PJay and 1 other person like this.
  11. TammyJ

TammyJ Well-Known Member

Jamaica
    Hoping it all goes well!
    Ray--Opo likes this.
  12. Chasen

Chasen Well-Known Member

Galveston
    Great advice. Thank you
    Ray--Opo likes this.
  13. Judy@SYR

[email protected] New Member TFO Sponsor 5 Year Member

Please, do NOT use these for shipping live animals! These things have contributed to more deaths than any other component of shipping. They burn way too hot and then don't last very long. They can cook your animal and then leave it exposed to freezing temperatures before it ever arrives at its destination.

You can find proper heat packs and all the supplies you need to safely ship your tortoise at ShipYourReptiles.com ... plus, deeply discounted shipping rates and a friendly, knowledgeable staff to answer all your questions.
  14. Cheryl Hills

Cheryl Hills Well-Known Member

Youngstown, Ohio
    Thank you!
    Ray--Opo likes this.
  15. Cheryl Hills

Cheryl Hills Well-Known Member

Youngstown, Ohio
    I had some eggs once, and electric went out. So, I used a hand warmer. Needless to say, when I went and checked on them, it was way to hot. Luckily, I caught it in time.
    Chasen and Ray--Opo like this.
  16. Chasen

Chasen Well-Known Member

Galveston
    I got the 7x7 shipping box thinking it would be large enough for my 3.5 inch baby. It arrived today and after measuring the inside dimensions of 5.5 x 5.5, I'm wondering if it's big enough. I had planned on putting him in the deli cup provided with padding all around, however, he is too large for it. Now my thoughts are to go with Tom's suggestion of the rep bag and hay. Is this box going to work for that? Or do I need to start over? As always, thanx to all for the input.
    Ray--Opo likes this.
  17. Chasen

Chasen Well-Known Member

Galveston
    Thank you. Me too. lol