Tortoiseville-an educational experience

Do you feel there is a need for Tortoiseville?

• Yes

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

turtles1957

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My husband and I are extremely interested in opening an educational center for people to come in and learn about several types of tortoises, care for them, even interacting with them...sort of like when you are at the zoo and you can feed the giraffe.

I have heard there is a place where you can feed galapagos tortoise as a tourist, however I have yet to find this place and I haven't seen anything like that for any other type of tort. We get so many questions about our torts already and I really don't feel it is in their best interest to take them to schools or shows to educate that way. I would MUCH rather make a very extensive education center, like a zoo for torts and turtles only, for people to come and experience.

This facility will be called "TORTOISEVILLE - an educational experience" this will include Tours, a Hands on Center, Replicated Natural Environments, Unique tortoises from over four continents and islands, (or more if we have the funds), Feedings and Interaction times, an Incubation Center, and much more. We also plan to offer a "Surrender your tortoise or turtle center" at no charge with no questions asked.
We will have a tort vet visit often for the saftely of the torts. In addition we will have very strick rules for the health of people and the torts.

My largest concern is that this may already exsist in the USA. If you know of one already, please let us know, since I really can't find anything like this myself yet. In addition, if you feel there is an area I am missing please let me know as I am completely up to ideas you may have to additions to the center. Also, please check out our site at www.freewebs.com/tortoiseville

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Most people would want to see more then just torts.. How would you make money? Pay rent? Employees? Or would you do this out of your home /property? Insurance issues might put you out of business.
I would find a already existing Junior Museum, Nature Center type place or Zoo and write up your idea of what you have in mind. Meet with the Director and see where it goes. That way its your exhibit with all sorts of other stuff all in one.

Oh and we have a place near here in Rocklin Ca.. I think its called the Eco Station. They have reptiles, birds and such and have kid activities and such.. tour groups, school bus trips etc...

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
I remember when I was six or seven, my family went to South Dakota to see mt. Rushmore. On the way, we stopped at some tourist trap, and I have some photos of me riding a giant tortoise.

Please do not hold this against, I was young.

At any rate, I highly doubt this place was educating the visitors. I think they just charged a fee to ride a tortoise.

I think tortoiseville would be a cool place to visit.

Evan

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Wow did you hit the lottery? :p

I think it is a great idea but may have the issues discussed. Also people have to have an interest already to go to a facility that discusses any subject, so attendance may be up n down. The school tour idea is a good to start them early doing it right though.

Where are you cuz I'd come by.:D

Dawna

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I would go, but I worry you'd not be able to keep up with the expenses of such a place from donations and any admission fee. Great idea though!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
turtles1957, educating people on the care of torts is always a great idea. I am not sure where you are located, but the size and scale of your idea is a big endeavor. I do not want to discourage you but you may want to start out smaller and build up to what you ultimately want if the demand for that service is there. Plus I am sure you will have to look up the laws in your area governing the reptiles you want to own & display.

Status
Not open for further replies.