Educational programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Is there anyone here that uses their tortoises (or other reptiles) for educational programs in schools? I think it would be a great thing to do with my torts, and a wonderful way to start awareness about the true care and needs of a Sulcata, and other reptiles. I have some aquatics and snakes, also, and it is anyone's guess what I may have in the rescue at any given time.

What exactly do you do? Do you mostly talk about where they come from, what they eat, how big they get, that kind of thing? I am talking elementary level to begin with (I am hoping to get my foot in the door with my daughters' classes) and I don't want to get TOO complicated...

How much interaction with the torts do you allow? Are the kids allowed to touch them? I was thinking that if I allowed the kids to touch one at a time, and then had them use hand sanitizer it would be okay.

Of course I need to talk to the school, but I want to get some ideas first. I was also thinking about maybe printing up some color booklets with info and fun facts that kids can then take home to color and show their parents... again increasing awareness :)

Kristina

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have been taking my torts to the kids school for the last two years. The older class I used a globe and let different kids pick out a sticker that I had put on there and then I pulled out the tort or turtle and we talked about there size, the different parts of a tort, what they eat, what the environment is like etc.

For the kindergarden class I brought a few and we talked about there size, food, parts of the tortoise, things that could harm a tort etc. then I gave them coloring sheets. I don't allow them to hold the torts, but I will allow them to touch one at a time after explaining the importance of not put hands by our faces until we wash, after they touch they go straight to the sink and wash. I put my largest tort on the ground and let them watch him walk around, and I bring boards with pictures on them of different turtles and tortoises, I also bring a empty turtle shell, and a egg. We also look at the feet and compare to see how turtles and tortoises have different feet.

Hope it helps.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
lol....sounds like something I would love to sit in on! I got into reptiles in sixth grade after seeing a presentation about reptiles....I don't know how different my life would be if I hadn't seen it

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Abolutely helped :) Just to clarify, I would never never let the torts be held... to much danger of a fall.

Sounds like you have a great program, and I too would sit in myself! Thanks for the ideas :)

Kristina

Status
Not open for further replies.