Tortoises & Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rustybread

5 Year Member
Can tortoises drink cooled tea? Not tea mix, but made with a tea bag in a kettle then cooled.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I try to not give my tortoises anything they might not find in the wild. I'm not sure how good caffeine would be for a tortoise.

Katherine

5 Year Member
RE: Tortoises & Tea

I had such a funny visual reading this, tortoises eating crumpets and clinking teacups would be quite a sight. Curious question. I would not offer my tortoises anything but water to drink.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Why would you give it to them firsthand? You can try and share the result to us though, that would be good information for us :D

Although I still wouldn't do it to my torts whatever the results are :)

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA

emysemys said:
I try to not give my tortoises anything they might not find in the wild. I'm not sure how good caffeine would be for a tortoise.

You sound JUST like my sister :p She's all about "what about in the wild? Huh?! Huh?!" :p

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Rustybread said:
Can tortoises drink cooled tea? Not tea mix, but made with a tea bag in a kettle then cooled.

Supposing they could, why would you want to?

Just keep it to water. They will never be accepted as members of high society anyway. They can keep a top hat on, but the monocle will always fall off.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
What's 21 in tortoise years? I bet they like beer. :D

karleyreed

5 Year Member

18 is legal to drink beer here in the UK! Which is probs why we have so many alcohol relates issues.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

Baoh said:

Just keep it to water. They will never be accepted as members of high society anyway. They can keep a top hat on, but the monocle will always fall off.

Hahahaaaaa!!!!! Love the image! :)

ottosmom18

5 Year Member

Katherine said:
I had such a funny visual reading this, tortoises eating crumpets and clinking teacups would be quite a sight. Curious question. I would not offer my tortoises anything but water to drink.

Haha same vision here.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri

Katherine said:

LOL, I thought the same thing!

Baoh said:
Rustybread said:

Hilarious! I like that!

Tortus said:
What's 21 in tortoise years? I bet they like beer. :D

LOL. To quote one of my favorite bands, "All we need is Love and Beer!"

Seriously though, I would just stick to giving them water, they don't really need any else to drink. However some might come across tea plants (I'm not sure of their scientific names) in the wild.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Maybe a homemade hibiscus tea. It would be refreshing on a warm day;)

Rustybread

5 Year Member
I'm not going to do that, I was just curious about it. I feel like tortoises deserve some of the good life at times.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
As long as you provide them with good care, I think they are happy enough. If not, it's always better to hand it over to others or release back to nature.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You know I was going to come to this thread and say something about it being two of my favorite ways to spend a day. However, instead it clicked a memory. Years back (20 odd years ago), I knew a young man who took in sick water turtles. At the time, it was mostly Asians that came his way. He was very much into using natural things for a cure. He did use weak tea water for them to be in. I forgot what healing properties it was suppose to have. It was something to do with shell rot. He did have amazing results.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
OK, this is a surprising post.

First I thought of a Mad Hatter tea party.
Baoh said:

Then I thought, 'Plus, they can't raise their pinky finger'.

Although green tea does have some healing qualities...hmmm....

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
With all the antioxidants in herbal teas (I myself drink them like they're going out of style) I can't say I haven't wondered this myself. Something Herbal though, not loaded with caffeine and nothing minty.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Jacqui said:
You know I was going to come to this thread and say something about it being two of my favorite ways to spend a day. However, instead it clicked a memory. Years back (20 odd years ago), I knew a young man who took in sick water turtles. At the time, it was mostly Asians that came his way. He was very much into using natural things for a cure. He did use weak tea water for them to be in. I forgot what healing properties it was suppose to have. It was something to do with shell rot. He did have amazing results.

Yes, the tannins are antimicrobial, so that has a specific external medical application

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Teas make the water tannic, which provides some relief to some animals, teas for animals are not always the tea we drink. This was very popular way to 'make' amphibian water, frog and salamander people had elaborate recipes for amphibian tea. Many animals, live in or drink water that has settled in a basin of some sort and has plant extracts in it. The Rio Negro in Brazil is nothing but tea water. Small forest species of tortoise will drink rain or dew water that collects in curled leaves on a forest floor, and that too is a tea.

Oddly enough, why don't you all lament chlorine in your tortoises' water, that is not good for them, you know.

Will

Irwin4530

5 Year Member

Baoh said:

Monocle ..... HAHAHAHAHA. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.