mulberry tea leaves?

gtc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Norway
I have been trying to get mulberry leaves for my greek. Unfortunately mulberry trees are very rare in my area. I did find this on amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EIT907S/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

there is even a pic of how these dried leaves look. Would this be safe to feed? Does anyone have any experience with feeding dry mulberry tea leaves?

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
I have two fruit bearing mulberry trees pm me your address and I'll mail you a bag to see how he likes them.. My trees are tortoise safe

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
mtdavis254817 said:
I have two fruit bearing mulberry trees pm me your address and I'll mail you a bag to see how he likes them.. My trees are tortoise safe

I sent you an email. Been having problems with sending pm. :)

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
I'm not so sure the dried one is as good as the fresh one except during your winter season. Doesn't dried leaf only retain protein and minerals but lose all vitamins?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
gtc said:
Will said:
Yeah, but at $250 pound, not worth it.

Hehe....know of any place online thats cheaper?

Well, I try to plan ahead, and harvest edible leaves throughout the growing season, dry them, and use them when the growing season is over. As YellowTurtle has pointed out. they are different than green live leaves, and so should not be used on a weight by weight basis when comparing feeding dry leaves with green, but used on a leaf by leaf basis, with total food offered remaining the same, that is used mixed in with green plant material.

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
Will said:
gtc said:
Will said:
Yeah, but at $250 pound, not worth it.

Hehe....know of any place online thats cheaper?

Well, I try to plan ahead, and harvest edible leaves throughout the growing season, dry them, and use them when the growing season is over. As YellowTurtle has pointed out. they are different than green live leaves, and so should not be used on a weight by weight basis when comparing feeding dry leaves with green, but used on a leaf by leaf basis, with total food offered remaining the same, that is used mixed in with green plant material.

You are right, however as I said in my first post: mulberry trees are very rare where I live. They dont grow here naturally and they are not for sale either. I guess I can try to buy a small live tree next time I travel a broad.

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
Will said:
Maybe consider grape leaves? At least they are used in some cooking, unlike mulberry, and provide a very similar kind of diet item.

That is a great idea. There are several types of grapes that can grow where I live. I'll plant some in my yard next spring. I have tried looking for grape leaves in stores, but the only ones I found were sold in brine (salt water).