Tortoises in Marrakech

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
My wife and I are exploring Morocco by car for about two weeks and this morning in Marrakech, while roaming the medina, I saw tons of baby tortoises... Sulcatas, I assume.

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

Jamie

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Thanks for the clarification!

I feel so badly for the torts (and lizards), not being able to do anything to help them or prevent their suffering feels yucky.

Jamie

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes, the animals and reptiles on display, performing or on sale in the Medina are not cared for that well. But, it is what it’s is - and it draws in the tourists with money to spend (like you and me!)

If you get a chance, go visit Essaoura for ocean views and tasty fish.

Description
Essaouira is a port city and resort on Morocco’s Atlantic coast. Its medina (old town) is protected by 18th-century seafront ramparts called the Skala de la Kasbah, which were designed by European engineers. Old brass cannons line the walls, and there are ocean views

Last edited:

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes, the animals and reptiles on display, performing or on sale in the Medina are not cared for that well. But, it is what it’s is - and it draws in the tourists with money to spend (like you and me!)

If you get a chance, go visit Essaoura for ocean views and tasty fish.

Description
Essaouira is a port city and resort on Morocco’s Atlantic coast. Its medina (old town) is protected by 18th-century seafront ramparts called the Skala de la Kasbah, which were designed by European engineers. Old brass cannons line the walls, and there are ocean views

Here’s a good descriptive article on this village - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/...essaouira-morocco-holiday-what-to-see-and-do/

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
We drove from the airport in Casablanca to Essaouira for a night and a day before coming to Marrakech and loved it!

J