Bronze Tortoise from Morocco

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
View attachment 277269

I found this great little tortoise (about 4" across) deep in the souk in Fes, Morocco, and had to bring it back with me... I'd been tempered by some of the other tortoises I'd seem in the markets, but couldn't manage, either morally or legally.

IMG_0312.jpg

I just got back from two weeks in Morocco, and was deliriously happy & relieved to find my redfoot tortoise Darwin had weathered my absence very well.

When we got home and settled, he ate like a horse!

He had eaten all the new edible plantings I'd put in his enclosure prior to leaving, along with a stack of cut up cactus pads, which I've found last a long time without drying or molding.

He had an 8" plastic water dish to soak in and drink from... the humidity is high enough in the enclosure that there was still a bunch of water left when we got back today.

I soaked and fed and oiled him when we returned, starting the meal with some hibiscus flowers, plantain leaves, and then some reptilinks and mazuri and papaya.

While we were gone, I watched him and monitored the temperature in his enclosure everyday with my Amazon blink camera, which uploads video to the cloud... I had a "Plan-B" on deck to help out if he had run out of food or water too soon, but didn't end up feeling the need.

Tortoises are hardy beasts so long as the parameters in their enclosures... I've been lucky enough to keep the temp and humidity cycling in an ideal range for Darwin for months now, so was confident that he'd be fine.

Jamie

IMG_1578.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Trip of a lifetime, huh Jamie? We have a member who actually lives in Fez. He has told us that there the children actually play games like "kick the can" with tortoises. They have no respect for them at all.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Trip of a lifetime, huh Jamie? We have a member who actually lives in Fez. He has told us that there the children actually play games like "kick the can" with tortoises. They have no respect for them at all.

We loved Morocco, but the torts in cages made me sad.

Jamie