Tortoises Eating Substrate

ChloeCrull

Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, California
Hello, everyone!

I consider myself rather educated and experienced when it comes to my Russian tortoises' diets. I place their food in a decently sized reptile "bowl". However, they (almost) always knock their fresh greens into the substrate. Consequently, they then consume the small bits of substrate stuck to the fresh greens.

Now, I do have flat, rough rocks (purchased from PetSmart) that I spread around the habitat to file their nails (and beaks when food is eaten on top of them). I have tried positioning them around the food bowl to ensure any spilled food will not be dirtied, but it hardly ever works.

Is it dangerous for tortoises to consume minor amounts of substrate? My tortoises aren't eating direct mouthfuls of substrate or anything, but it's beginning to concern me.

phebe121

What kind is it a little wile ago this happen.to me i never seen them.do it since i use coconut coir but the next day there nose was runny so i bumped up the heat a little.and the.where fine.im not saying this is whats wrong with your tort just watch her

ChloeCrull

Fresno, California
What kind is it a little wile ago this happen.to me i never seen them.do it since i use coconut coir but the next day there nose was runny so i bumped up the heat a little.and the.where fine.im not saying this is whats wrong with your tort just watch her

The substrate that they're passing is a mixture of walnut sand (I know it's bad—I promise to replace it!!!) and coconut fiber. They haven't had a runny noise fortunately! Thanks for your response.

That's perfectly fine. If you soak your tort often, he can pass it. The fight to keep dirt off their food and rocks is never ending.

Thank you! It sure can be a pain, but I'm glad you gave me your thought on the matter.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
One problem with walnut is that it can cause an obstruction if eaten and it can also mold if kept damp, which russian substrate should be.

WIth coco coir, orchid bark, peat, soil, dirt, or cypress a little incidental ingestion will not hurt anything.

ChloeCrull

Fresno, California
One problem with walnut is that it can cause an obstruction if eaten and it can also mold if kept damp, which russian substrate should be.

WIth coco coir, orchid bark, peat, soil, dirt, or cypress a little incidental ingestion will not hurt anything.

Thank you!

leopard777

5 Year Member
This is what i feed my tort in and it keeps the food clean

hmm i use something like this too , just cut out one end of those plastic takeout , better then a plate i would say , vegs wont end up everywhere